Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plywood kitchen units.

Options
  • 18-08-2017 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I just wonder is there many people that use standard chipboard units for kitchens with granite worktops or they prefer solid wood and ply as chipboard will not last as long as granite and in some stage will have to be replaced?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The vast majority of kitchen cabinets are standard MFC cabinets including those with solid worktops.

Conversely, most people prefer the idea of solid wood cabinets and doors until they discover the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Graham, there's a price difference in solid wood or MFC, but regarding ply, it's same work involved, just more expensive materials, but you get at least double the life out of it and the price is not to high compare to new kitchen

A price difference that's enough to put most buyers off the solid versions.

Personally I can see why. As in any area of the home fashions/styles change, people are beginning to realise they don't particularly want or need a kitchen that's going to be around longer than they are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Graham wrote: »
    A price difference that's enough to put most buyers off the solid versions.

Personally I can see why. As in any area of the home fashions/styles change, people are beginning to realise they don't particularly want or need a kitchen that's going to be around longer than they are ;)

But than again, why did people fit granite worktops, that last forever?
    I agree in some cases, but I've seen great kitchens costing 40k, and they will last for 40 years for sure. If design is right and it fits the interior, then nothing wrong with long lasting furniture.

But than again, why did people fit granite worktops, that last forever?

It's tactile which is significant when you directly interface with it more than any other part of the kitchen.
    It looks fantastic.
    It can make a relatively inexpensive kitchen look like a much higher end kitchen.

Like anything it comes down to a combination of personal preference and budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I'm currently making kitchen units from birch ply which will have a clear lacquer finish , it will have a laminate worktop as the customer plans to change the worktop
    and paint color every 6 / 8 years but wants the units to last , the frame, doors and drawer fronts are poplar which will be painted, it's a traditional design to suit the age of the house and some of the units are deeper to match the depth of the Aga , as mentioned above different people have different priorities

Advertisement