Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance Learning Software Related Courses Recommendations

Options
  • 18-08-2017 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi, I am currently working in a role, under a software Development team, where I carry out software testing and investigating problems with software etc.

My degree is non computer related and I got into this job through experience within the company. However, I am wondering do anybody know of any good Distance Learning Courses (i.e.Diploma, Degree, Conversion....), NFQ accredited, that they would recommend I could do, something to have if I ever left the company or wanted to progress my career.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have heard great things about Oscail in DCU ,there are no direct software dev courses but it is worth a look anyway - http://www.dcu.ie/connected/Postgraduate-Courses.shtml
    Have a look at Springboard too,there might be something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭trafficlight

thanks a million for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I know someone who has done the Masters version of this. The masters is two years, this one is one year:

https://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/adult-and-continuing-education-courses/softwareengineering.html/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Having done a Springboard level 8 in Cloud and having recently looked as Springboard for future part-time education - I'll say the scope is limited in terms of flexible education.
    I'm in full-time employment - the level 8 consisted of 18:00 - 22:00 M/W/F and all day Saturday.
    Springboard have introduced online varients but you still have to be at your computer at set times for 'class' - I believe this is 2 days during the week, one day on Weekend - again 18:00 - 22:00.
    Not flexible enough for my own situation but it may suit yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrmcnerd

Diceicle wrote: »
    Having done a Springboard level 8 in Cloud and having recently looked as Springboard for future part-time education - I'll say the scope is limited in terms of flexible education.
    I'm in full-time employment - the level 8 consisted of 18:00 - 22:00 M/W/F and all day Saturday.
    Springboard have introduced online varients but you still have to be at your computer at set times for 'class' - I believe this is 2 days during the week, one day on Weekend - again 18:00 - 22:00.
    Not flexible enough for my own situation but it may suit yourself.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with the online scheduling too, I guess they want live interaction from the students. However, I spoke with someone from IT Blanchardstown at last weekend's Springboard open day, and she said that they upload all the lectures once a week, and allow students to follow them at whatever time suits. I specifically mentioned the set times in other colleges, and was told there's no problem watching the lectures at any time. There are face-to-face labs/tutorials/etc, but these are on Saturdays, once a month. This is the Higher Diploma in Computing course.

Does anyone have any experience with ITB? The flexibility sounds perfect for me, I'd love to know how a qualification from there would compare to, say, DCU or DIT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The biggest problem I found with distance online courses they often require a massive commitment in time, often the same as a full time course. Which is almost impossible to do if you are working full time unless you have a light work schedule and no commitments at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

mrmcnerd wrote: »
    Yeah, I was a bit disappointed with the online scheduling too, I guess they want live interaction from the students. However, I spoke with someone from IT Blanchardstown at last weekend's Springboard open day, and she said that they upload all the lectures once a week, and allow students to follow them at whatever time suits. I specifically mentioned the set times in other colleges, and was told there's no problem watching the lectures at any time. There are face-to-face labs/tutorials/etc, but these are on Saturdays, once a month. This is the Higher Diploma in Computing course.

Does anyone have any experience with ITB? The flexibility sounds perfect for me, I'd love to know how a qualification from there would compare to, say, DCU or DIT.

That sounds pretty flexible tbf - though I think you'd want to verify that you are on the same page as the college in terms of 'watch in your own time'.

I touched base with NCI fairly recently re: online / flexible learning - got this back:

Attendance must be monitored and recorded under ESF guideline for all Springboard students. All classes will be recorded and available for you to catch up in your own time however attendance is compulsory.
    Within reason for funded students, a few missed classes because of illness, work, life events etc are to be expected from most students but you will expected to log in at given times.

Now, I took the above to mean that I would have to attend classes funded through Springboard at the set hours the same as the face to face students - rather than say, clocking in from 20:00 - 0:00 to catch that days lecture.

Yes, I got the same impression from most colleges, and was pretty specific when I spoke to ITB. I was told that all lectures are uploaded once a week, and that not all lectures were videos: some would be written material to go through, depending on the lecturer's preference. It was a point I pushed quite a bit: I've gotten into the habit of studying early in the morning before work, and explained that it would be great to go through the lectures then rather than at a specific time after work. So I reckon we're on the same page. But you're absolutely right, it is unusual among the Springboard courses, so I'll triple-check before accepting.

I also asked about interaction, which would obviously be missing from this arrangement. As it was explained to me, most of the interaction was done through Moodle and the Saturday classes. I guess that doesn't suit everyone, but personally, I'd be quite comfortable with it.

Diceicle wrote: »
    That sounds pretty flexible tbf - though I think you'd want to verify that you are on the same page as the college in terms of 'watch in your own time'.

Just to follow up on this, I'm after getting off the phone to ITB, and they've confirmed that there are no set times for watching the lectures during the week, though they expect students to allow 12 hours/week watching them at their own preferred time. Sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robotron1000

bunderoon wrote: »
    I know someone who has done the Masters version of this. The masters is two years, this one is one year:

https://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/adult-and-continuing-education-courses/softwareengineering.html/
    I did the MSc version of that one, I consider it to be a good investment. When I enrolled I was a software developer with an engineerinng degree (non-IT), so I had some background. Take a look at my previous posts, I wrote about my experience. The course has its good and bad sides, but I'd recommend it for someone in the OP's position.
    https://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/adult-and-continuing-education-courses/software-engineering-and-database-technologies.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement