Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building / using camping fire pit in Dublin back garden

Options
  • 18-08-2017 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I'd like to build a camping fire pit in our small/average Dublin City back garden.
    We love outdoor cooking on real wood. It'll do smoke for hours for sure. (normal sort of smoke, like when you are camping and making a stew in a hanging pot for example)

Do I have the right to do it in my own garden? (in case a neighbor says I don't).
    I know it's illegal to burn garden waste and my question is not about that.
    I didn't find information about cooking on open fire in your back garden on Citizens Info.

The fire pit I'd like to build is very similar to the one on the picture.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I don't know what the law is, but every fine evening in my neighbourhood, we smell smoke as people fire up the barbecues, sometimes not very successfully. I don't mind it at all, because I'm doing the same myself - but its not every day or every week.

Mean to say, if you don't do it too often, probably ok. Too frequently, and the locals might get restless.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I don't know what the law is, but every fine evening in my neighbourhood, we smell smoke as people fire up the barbecues, sometimes not very successfully. I don't mind it at all, because I'm doing the same myself - but its not every day or every week.

Mean to say, if you don't do it too often, probably ok. Too frequently, and the locals might get restless.

Thank you.
    Well, good relationship with the neighbors is the most important, that's for sure.
    In any case, it'd be good to know my rights just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I think you are OK but terminology is everything so I'd stop calling it a fire pit and start calling it a BBQ pit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

my3cents wrote: »
    I think you are OK but terminology is everything so I'd stop calling it a fire pit and start calling it a BBQ pit ;)

Haha, good advice! I might even label it accordingly so that there's no place for argument :)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Just bear in mind that one of the known causes of stomach and bowel cancers is the "excessive consumption of the products of combustion", e.g. smoked and charred food, so take it easy out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,173 ✭✭✭✭looksee

but...but...I like the burnt crispy bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

looksee wrote: »
    but...but...I like the burnt crispy bits!
    :)

Advertisement