Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming course online

Options
  • 18-08-2017 5:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend good online computer programming courses. Asking for someone interested in a career change. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Reid

+1 on this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You looking for something like this
    https://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2011/01/26/python-for-newbies/
    or something different?

The R-Pi people do a lot of things in this area.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, what's your starting point and the direction you want to go? With that info it will be much easier to recommend something.

If you're starting to learn programming from scratch there is a language called ... Scratch :-)
    It is very good to get the basic ideas (loops, conditionals and so on) that are common to almost all programming languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_(programming_language)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

As above, you need to give us a starting point for where you/they are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Ok, sorry, I am posting for my partner who is looking for a career change. Having had sessions with a careers guidance counsellor a few options came up and this one appealed. He is a problem solver, good at mathematics, methodical thinker (also a decent chess player if that helps??,).

I'm posting for him as he's not on boards.

I work in a field that has nothing to do with computing, so apologies for my ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Thanks for such a detailed post. I'll show it to him. No formal training at all so would be starting from scratch.

Are there any good blogs or sites that could help him narrow his focus somewhat. He's phone mad, knows everything about them. Anything involving that would be a bonus I think.

Again, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Thanks for such a detailed post. I'll show it to him. No formal training at all so would be starting from scratch.

Are there any good blogs or sites that could help him narrow his focus somewhat. He's phone mad, knows everything about them. Anything involving that would be a bonus I think.

Again, thank you.

Look at thenewboston https://thenewboston.com/

Again, thank you.

Look at thenewboston https://thenewboston.com/

Brilliant! Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Realistically, the best chance of changing careers is to do a 3rd level course. Is that an option for him? Either full or part time.

He's 40 and no, no chance of drifting into the field. Worked in insurance (and hated it). Now in an administrative role.

A degree is a possibility, hasn't ruled it out by any means. Are there any online programmes or would it have to be college-based?

I think a foundation course would be a good start. The area is much broader than I imagined. How do people find their focus/niche??

Thanks for the links, I'll pass all info on. He's been disheartened a while and it's great he's found something that may suit him.

For what it's worth, I changed careers at 39 (from publishing to psychotherapy..... Delighted I did it!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 IronStones

Springboard courses dot ie

They have plenty of higher diplomas and postgraduate courses in ICT and are generally free. Can be done as distance learning or online or full time college attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

IronStones wrote: »
    Springboard courses dot ie

They have plenty of higher diplomas and postgraduate courses in ICT and are generally free. Can be done as distance learning or online or full time college attendance.

Yes, but the available courses in the area depend on the local demand. Don't expect to get a springboard course in it when pharma is the prevalent industry in the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 IronStones

Yes, but the available courses in the area depend on the local demand. Don't expect to get a springboard course in it when pharma is the prevalent industry in the area.

There is loads of ICT H dips that can be done online.

Sligo waterford GMIT all have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

https://www.codecademy.com/ is great for a "starter pack" in various programming languages.

The site is free to sign up and also has an interactive Editor built in so no need to alt + tab out.

Thank you all so much. You've all been so helpful and thoughtful. Great that so much learning can be done online!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ciaranimo

FreeCodeCamp.org is brilliant if he is interested in Web Development, it takes you from the basics of HTML & CSS to JavaScript and libraries like React and while learning you are adding projects to your portfolio all the time.

Thing I like about it is , it has a great community and in my opinion is a brilliant guided track helping to avoid any time wasted on asking the question"What Next?" after each step along the way because they have it outlined for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I completed the "Python for Everyone" specialization from University of Michigan, half of the Data Science specialization from Johns Hopkins (it's basically a course in R and some stats, I'm still working on it) and taught myself SQL using KhanAcademy and Codecademy. I highly recommend these sites if you're thinking of changing careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

It's hard to tell exactly but after 18 months I got a job based on the skills I had learned. I worked mainly on the weekend and sometimes after work in the evening but probably no more than 10 hours a week for one year. Some weeks when assignments were due I put in the full weekend and other weeks when the coursework was easy, not so much at all. I managed to shoehorn some of the stuff I learned into my previous job so that I could honestly put it on my CV - it was based on this that I got my current job as a data analyst. I'm hardly a skilled developer but I know enough to be of use! My plan is to carry on learning R and data science, improve Python, and after that I'm not sure, maybe javascript.

Advertisement