Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Points off my 1st Choice

Options
  • 18-08-2017 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I got 523 in my leaving cert and I'm really happy especially with History H1 and Geography H1. I'm two points shy of Law in UCD which was 525 last year. Is there hope it will go down? Lot's of people seem to be 1/2/3 points off so I was thinking maybe it's just down to the new points system. Should I be unlucky I'm planning to recorrect Maths H5 and English H3 as I expected a higher grade for each. Otherwise has anyone a recommendation on how I can secure this course. I'm so close now that I'd be gutted to fall at the final hurdle.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So I got 523 in my leaving cert and I'm really happy especially with History H1 and Geography H1. I'm two points shy of Law in UCD which was 525 last year. Is there hope it will go down? Lot's of people seem to be 1/2/3 points off so I was thinking maybe it's just down to the new points system.
    We wouldn't know points for this year until Monday anyway, and last year's points are at best an indicator only.

This year, the new grading system makes it even harder to predict points with even a chance of getting it right.

Al we can tell you is what you already know yourself: that you are at least in the right ballpark with a decent shot at goal!

Cross your fingers and try to keep busy to distract yourself.
    Should I be unlucky I'm planning to recorrect Maths H5 and English H3 as I expected a higher grade for each.
    And you should definitely look at your scripts, but there's no great point appealing just because you expected to do better.

Here's a far more sensible approach:

1. Arrange to view your scripts

2. Arrange for your teacher / another teacher of the subject to go through the scripts with you (preferably a teacher who is an experienced corrector at LC level). They will have a far better idea than you will whether it's worth appealing.

(Don't just assume that your teachers will be there on the day at the time you wander in, they have lives too. Contact them in advance and ask them / arrange a time which they can make. You may need to do this through the school.)

Important dates: click

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ubisoft5

Lucky you. You got 1 more point than needed for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ubisoft5

Lucky you. You got 1 more point than needed for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paddyflynn_td

Thanks everyone. I really am blessed and it's a dream come true. Hopefully I find some look now with accomodation and I'll be set for a great year ðŸ˜

Advertisement