Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've no idea what to do, help please?

Options
  • 17-08-2017 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I only got a total of 209 points in my leaving cert and I'm pretty sure I can't do anything I wanted to do since I got a O7 in Maths and having failed 3 subjects. My results are O5 Irish, H6 English, O7 Maths, H6, H7, O5 and H7. I will be going in to view my script and appeal the O/H 7 subjects I got and hopefully get an O6 in Maths.

Is it too late to apply for a PLC course? I need to pass a minimum of 5 subjects and a minimum of O6 for even my level 6 course choices and if I do not manage to appeal Maths I can't get into any of them. I honestly don't know what to do and really don't want to repeat the LC. Any bit of help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

Alot of PLC courses will take applications through to September, i even know of a few that took people in October. Just take a breath and relax. There are options even if you feel overwhelmed right now. Depending on your part of the country, you should have access to a support service to talk through your options.

A google search of PLCs in your town/city is a good place to start. Also phone the courses you're interested in and ask to speak to specific course coordinators for your subjects, they wont break the rules but may have work arounds if you seem genuine.

And dont forget, even though it sounds stupid now, you really do have your whole life ahead of you and those points will not define you as a person.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

chrismonz wrote: »
    I will be going in to view my script and appeal the O/H 7 subjects I got and hopefully get an O6 in Maths.
    Make sure to arrange to have your teacher(s) view your scripts with you (preferably teachers who also act as examiners or have in the past) ... they will have a far better idea whether it is worthwhile appealing or not.
    Is it too late to apply for a PLC course?
    It shouldn't be, but it depends what courses are available in your area, and the demand ... popular courses can sometimes be full before LC results even come out.

Get moving on it right away if this is what you want to do ... and it does sound like your best option if you are determined not to repeat LC.

Do your research properly ... check that the PLC you choose is linked to a course you want the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chrismonz

Make sure to arrange to have your teacher(s) view your scripts with you (preferably teachers who also act as examiners or have in the past) ... they will have a far better idea whether it is worthwhile appealing or not.

It shouldn't be, but it depends what courses are available in your area, and the demand ... popular courses can sometimes be full before LC results even come out.

Get moving on it right away if this is what you want to do ... and it does sound like your best option if you are determined not to repeat LC.

Do your research properly ... check that the PLC you choose is linked to a course you want the following year.
    Kmagic wrote: »
    Alot of PLC courses will take applications through to September, i even know of a few that took people in October. Just take a breath and relax. There are options even if you feel overwhelmed right now. Depending on your part of the country, you should have access to a support service to talk through your options.

A google search of PLCs in your town/city is a good place to start. Also phone the courses you're interested in and ask to speak to specific course coordinators for your subjects, they wont break the rules but may have work arounds if you seem genuine.

And dont forget, even though it sounds stupid now, you really do have your whole life ahead of you and those points will not define you as a person.

I've looked into PLC courses to get into the course I want which is Arts in Maynooth (MH101) and I'm wondering would I still be able to get into that PLC course if my appeal for my O7 grade was unsuccessful? The PLC course I have in mind is 5M2102.

Leaving it until your appeal result comes back in October would be crazy. Even if there were spare places left, a big if, they would be unlikely to want someone joining at that late stage in a 1-year course.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

You could be able to get into a plc with 4 passes that could lead into mh101. But you need to research it carefully.

Some plc courses even do an extra maths test for students in your scenario.

Here is a link to all the MH courses that accept plc courses. MH101 (first at the top) has a long list of options. Make sure that the plc has one of these codes, eg 5m2154. That's very important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 chrismonz

Leaving it until your appeal result comes back in October would be crazy. Even if there were spare places left, a big if, they would be unlikely to want someone joining at that late stage in a 1-year course.
    You could be able to get into a plc with 4 passes that could lead into mh101. But you need to research it carefully.

Some plc courses even do an extra maths test for students in your scenario.

Here is a link to all the MH courses that accept plc courses. MH101 (first at the top) has a long list of options. Make sure that the plc has one of these codes, eg 5m2154. That's very important.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear but I was asking if I would be eligible to enroll in the PLC course with having an O7 in Maths? I will be applying for a number of PLC courses tomorrow that offers progression to MH101.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Sorry if I didn't make it clear but I was asking if I would be eligible to enroll in the PLC course with having an O7 in Maths? I will be applying for a number of PLC courses tomorrow that offers progression to MH101.

Most plc courses would accept students who failed maths as far as I'm aware. I know of a few people who did that last year. That being said it probably just depends on the course/college. Check them out individually and see if they specially mention a requirement in maths. If not, you're good to go!

Oops sorry, read it the other way.

As said, check the individual course requirements, but I doubt the maths will be a bar for most.

Advertisement