Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doubts on eye test and glasses

Options
  • 17-08-2017 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hello all,

I don't have a serious problem with my eyes, although I came to the point in life where I have to give in and finally wear glasses for presbyopia.
    However, because I take this very seriously, I mean I really want to be sure that the right pair of glass is prescribed to me, I've decided to have my sight test checked in two different places.
    In the first place, I'm not mentioning any name as I think it is not allowed here, is a famous chain shop, I decided to go private, I had my test done with a prescription, I told them I was going to think about which glasses to buy.
    In the meantime, I thought of doing another eye test in a local shop in my town, thinking that they could dedicate more time and the test being more accurate. In this case I went public, taking advantage of the free annual eye test. I was surprised that I actually had to pay for the test anyway, I paid 20 euro (I was told that the government paid only up to 40 euro) otherwise the test costs 60 euro. Just bear in mind that when I had booked the appointment I was told that I was going to pay only if I wasn't entitled to the free test. Although I'm not a native English speaker so I could have misunderstood that. Anyway, is it normal to pay despite the refund from the government? Apart from the fact that I don't think it was worth it, in the other place I went private and paid 15 euro and I was probably done more tests. Furthermore, when I left the shop, I realized that they didn't take the pressure of my eyes with that 'puff' thing. I called the shop when I got home, I was told that the pressure was taken, when I got the drops into my eyes. I'm not sure because I'm not expert, is that possible?
    However, the lady in the small shop told me that one month after wearing lenses, I was going to be checked to see if the lenses work alright. Beside presbyopia, I have a problem with my eyes not being able to converge properly. I thought this was a good sign of accuracy, and that motivated me to finally choose the lenses and make the order. However, the optician in a second moment told me that I have another problem (which problem? she was very generic! and silly me not asking what problem) and during the next visit she'll check that as well. Late, while I was browsing the lenses, she came to me measuring something else on my eyes, while other customers were in the waiting area in front of me! I understood she forgot doing this during the test... I don't know what to say.
    So, in the end I have mixed feelings about my choice, I already paid the deposit, I have to collect these glasses between tomorrow and Monday. I have that kind of feeling that they could charge me again for next visit (seen that I was charged for the eye test despite the Prsi), I will ask for that but... I don't know... it looks like they want to take advantage, asking just more money.
    What do you think?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Ok first of all I'm a little confused about what you are asking.
    sushmita wrote: »
    I was surprised that I actually had to pay for the test anyway, I paid 20 euro (I was told that the government paid only up to 40 euro) otherwise the test costs 60 euro. Just bear in mind that when I had booked the appointment I was told that I was going to pay only if I wasn't entitled to the free test. Although I'm not a native English speaker so I could have misunderstood that. Anyway, is it normal to pay despite the refund from the government?
    Was it on your PRSI or on a medical card that you were getting the free test? If on PRSI, any additional tests outside of a standard eye exam can be charged for e.g. visual fields test, photos of the eyes.
    Furthermore, when I left the shop, I realized that they didn't take the pressure of my eyes with that 'puff' thing. I called the shop when I got home, I was told that the pressure was taken, when I got the drops into my eyes. I'm not sure because I'm not expert, is that possible?
    Yes it is possible there are a number of different ways of checking the pressure of the eyes, the puff of air being the most common.
    Late, while I was browsing the lenses, she came to me measuring something else on my eyes, while other customers were in the waiting area in front of me! I understood she forgot doing this during the test... I don't know what to say.
    This could also have been taking measurements that were specific to the glasses that you were picking out
    So, in the end I have mixed feelings about my choice, I already paid the deposit, I have to collect these glasses between tomorrow and Monday. I have that kind of feeling that they could charge me again for next visit (seen that I was charged for the eye test despite the Prsi), I will ask for that but... I don't know... it looks like they want to take advantage, asking just more money.
    What do you think?
    Thank you.

If it is just to collect your glasses I would be very surprised if you were charged again. But again, I'm not really sure what you are asking

Advertisement