Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend phone with great camera please

Options
  • 17-08-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I'm in the market for a new phone, and am just stumped really, when trying to even narrow down what to choose from. I currently have a Moto G4 plus, and while it's been a decent enough phone, it's starting to get very laggy and slow, so it's time to look for something newer and better.

I don't mind paying for the right one, but obviously, the cheaper the better! My biggest want in a phone is a great camera. The Moto is not too bad quality-wise, but is very very slow to snap photos, so it just doesn't cut it.

Next on my wishlist is that the phone be snappy, and not slow down over time. I only have 2gb of ram at the moment, what should I expect in a decent phone now? I'd like something with decent battery life too, but it doesn't have to be the biggest battery, as long as it has a good camera.

Other than that, I'll just be using the phone for calls/texts/browsing. I don't play any games, etc, but I have pokemon installed for the young lad as he plays it at times. Am open to all suggestions and would love a phone that I could keep for a few years. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭914

Great camera's normally come with flagship phones. If your lookimg to keep the cost down you could look at older models of flagships.

The lg g5 camera is said to be an excellent camera although I have read of boot loop issues with that phone.

Moto g5s plus is due out soon which could be a nice step up from your g4 plus.

You could also look at amazon warehouse deals. Basically phones that have been returned to amazon for various reasons and reduced cost. They are categorised as, excellent, very good, good etc...

Moto z play has a brilliant battery, not sure what the camera is like though

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Huawei P9 or 10 both have fantastic cameras ,dual camera set up on both one RGB and one black and white ,
    Great Manual settings as well and the ability to shoot in raw

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bonsai_73

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I don't mind if it's a flagship/flagship price. Obviously I'd prefer if there was a cheaper phone with a great camera, but I expected it to be something I'd have to pay for. I'll take a look at the Huawei ones now, thanks for that.

bonsai_73 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah I don't mind if it's a flagship/flagship price. Obviously I'd prefer if there was a cheaper phone with a great camera, but I expected it to be something I'd have to pay for. I'll take a look at the Huawei ones now, thanks for that.

DxOMark rank the current top 10 phone cameras like this:

iZGegn5.png

It's not surprising that the bulk of these devices are expensive flagships. Recently, someone ported the HDR+ camera from the Pixel to any device running a Snapdragon 820/821/835, so if you buy a device running one of those chips, you could probably improve the photos a bit by using that camera.

Link to HDR+ camera apk

Basil3 wrote: »
    DxOMark rank the current top 10 phone cameras like this:

That's really helpful, thank you!
    Save

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Consider a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.
    You'll get one new sold and dispatched from Amazon for around €420.
    Amazing deal, amazing camera.
    One of the top (if not THE top) phones from 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check out MKBHDs comparison on youtube. Most use the same sensor so a lot of it comes down to what particular DSP tweaks suit your eyes taste.

biebiebie wrote: »
    Consider a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.
    You'll get one new sold and dispatched from Amazon for around €420.
    Amazing deal, amazing camera.
    One of the top (if not THE top) phones from 2016.

Thanks for replying. Sorry, I was away the past week, so just getting back to this now. Is the Samsung S7 (non-edge) comparable to the S7 Edge? I don't think I could get to grips with the Edge. A buddy has it and hates it (because of the edges), and the few times I've handled it, I haven't been too fond of it either.

ED E wrote: »
    Check out MKBHDs comparison on youtube. Most use the same sensor so a lot of it comes down to what particular DSP tweaks suit your eyes taste.

Advertisement