Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary schools

Options
  • 17-08-2017 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,
    My son has been offered a place in Hansfield Ed together secondary school for 2018 and I am looking for some feedback. I know its only open a couple of years so no leaving results yet but I would like to hear from parents of children who attend this school. He is in an ed together primary school at present so I would like to continue with the ethos. Our other options are LCC and Coolmine so any feedback on these schools would be also welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

My son will be going into second year at HETSS.

We're happy with the school so far. We like the ET ethos and no uniform. It's also far cheaper than other secondary schools.

There's good discipline without it being too strict. The kids I see coming and going are generally well behaved.

Good subject choices and nice enthusiastic teachers. They're only taking 9 exam subjects for JC with several none exam subjects designed to support other subjects, e.g. Stem and enterprise. First year get tasters of all the subjects before they have to choose.

Last year they moved into the new building so there was a bit of chaos but that's to be expected.

Extra curricular activities are mainly sport. I'm sure as the school grows there will be an increase in other clubs.

My son had a good first year. He made friends and settled in well so on the whole we're happy
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gio2

Hi,
    I’m still looking for opinions in hansfield educate together secondary school and LCC. My ds has been offered a place for next year in both. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ihope

Mixed feedback on ET secondary from friends and parents from most parents around. Because that is a dense area you have to go the assigned feeder school. They had an open day, ask them if they will have one again. Also parents who already have been through ET primary are going for other choices, which should not be the case. Also parents who already have been through ET primary are going for other choices, which should not be the case.

SEN wing seems good at ET. They have an autism unit as well. If your son is really interested in science and likely to take physics do check ET does not have that subject.

When you decide which one to go for do let me know too with your reasons. As of now my preference would be,

1.LCC
    2.Coolmine
    3.ET

ihope wrote: »
    Mixed feedback on ET secondary from friends and parents from most parents around. Because that is a dense area you have to go the assigned feeder school. They had an open day, ask them if they will have one again. Also parents who already have been through ET primary are going for other choices, which should not be the case. Also parents who already have been through ET primary are going for other choices, which should not be the case.

SEN wing seems good at ET. They have an autism unit as well. If your son is really interested in science and likely to take physics do check ET does not have that subject.

When you decide which one to go for do let me know too with your reasons. As of now my preference would be,

1.LCC
    2.Coolmine
    3.ET

I have decided to go with LCC. I got very negative feedback about ET from various sources. I have also heard 20 teachers left in June which is a really bad sign.Only one child from my sons class is going to ET and kids with siblings there are choosing other schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Gio2 wrote: »
    I have decided to go with LCC. I got very negative feedback about ET from various sources. I have also heard 20 teachers left in June which is a really bad sign.Only one child from my sons class is going to ET and kids with siblings there are choosing other schools.

Interesting comment on staff turnover. Was at their open evening last night and was very surprised how new most of the teaching staff were and how unknowledgeable they were regarding the school itself- intake numbers, is this the first LC year, policies etc.

Also very interested to hear what the last two years JC results were like as when asked last night teachers either didn't know (just started yesterday/last month etc) or were vague ("students were happy").

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Young recently qualified staff means high turnover by default as it is nigh impossible to get full hours. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Senior experienced staff leaving would be far more worrying.

For the Department view on schools in D15, see
    https://www.education.ie/en/Find-a-School/School-Search-Results/?level=Post%20Primary&geo=15&ethos=-1&lang=&gender=-1
    You can click on a school and read their inspection reports.

As always, the biggest influence on a child's educational success will be the home environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Have you considered Edmond Rice College? No permanent location yet but 2 years in and they are starting to gain a bit of traction with the intake. Many high calibre pupils (or parents of) from St Mochta’s have chosen it ahead of LCC this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Definitely agree on the importance of support at home and the home environment itself, no matter what the school.

No haven't considered Edmund Rice at all, its too far away and I want my children to be able to walk to or cycle to school and have local children in their classes. Also the uncertainty around its permanent location would immediately discount it off my list. I have heard good things about it, but location for us is key.

Site for Edmund Rice school has finally been confirmed. It will be on old Phoenix Park racecourse beside St Brigids GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Site for Edmund Rice school has finally been confirmed. It will be on old Phoenix Park racecourse beside St Brigids GAA

Finally!

Cheers for the update!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

I wonder did they get extra land assigned - at the public meeting I attended last year the Principal was adamant they didn't want that site as it was too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

AlanG wrote: »
    I wonder did they get extra land assigned - at the public meeting I attended last year the Principal was adamant they didn't want that site as it was too small.

I see on Leo's twitter that the agreement is for the purchase of 6 acres. Would have thought that would be a fair size site for a school. Suppose depends on how many numbers they expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Assume it's the big plot of lad between the apartments in Phoenix Racecourse and St. Brigids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

http://leovaradkar.ie/2016/11/varadkar-says-appointment-of-edmund-rice-school-trust-as-patron-will-enhance-parental-choice-in-d15/

It was over 2 years that the patronage was announced, Leo at the time said it was his view that it should be built on the Phoenix Park Racecourse site. Delighted it's finally been confirmed but 2 years to get to this stage is beyond a joke (obviously not the first choice site). The poor kids who started in 2017 will probably be doing their leaving cert by the time they get in the new building.

Advertisement