Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents to attend with child for first 2 weeks

Options
  • 17-08-2017 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭

Hi all, our second son will be starting pre-school in September - he's going to the same place our eldest went but we have received a letter saying that a parent is to attend with him for the first 2 weeks. We cannot fathom how this is a) practical for anybody involved b) good for him?

Has anybody else had this kind of intro to pre-school for their child? This wasn't the case with our eldest - I seem to remember going in with him for an hour on the first day & then leaving.

Granted the first few days is only for an hour but I just can't comprehend the value in being with him for 2 whole weeks only for week 3 to suddenly be a drop & go. Also, we both have jobs and I assume most of the other parents do too so it is causing us to scramble about for late starts/annual leave (which is quickly drying up). Surely some of them also have younger children? It seems incredible to me that they would even want that many people hovering when trying to settle children into a new routine. I guess what I want here is somebody with knowledge in the area to give me some practical reasons as to why this is the process? The lady that runs the pre-school is very well educated in the area so I guess I have to accept that she knows more than me about these things but I am still at a bit of a loss as to the reasoning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Not my area of expertise but sounds nuts to me. Maybe parent hangs around outside for the first day or a gradual increasing time break in period.

But 2 weeks full time at such short notice... sounds like the manager took a notion or its another new initiative in lala land .

I'd say ring the preschool and find out what's going on and if it's optional. Talk to other parents if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

When our daughter was 18months and started crèche, 2 weeks settling was recommended to us. In practice my wife stayed for the first few days, and was just available in case the little one kicked off separation anxiety big time thereafter. It was good to set aside 2 weeks.

For preschool, it's around 3 years old? Has your little one been to crèche before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Dardania wrote: »
    When our daughter was 18months and started crèche, 2 weeks settling was recommended to us. In practice my wife stayed for the first few days, and was just available in case the little one kicked off separation anxiety big time thereafter. It was good to set aside 2 weeks.

For preschool, it's around 3 years old? Has your little one been to crèche before?

No this is his first foray into the world of order! He's fairly confident wee thing though and I'm happy to be around for the first while but 2 weeks just seems like overkill

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do they mean parents drop and collect for the 1st 2 weeks?
    I can not see how this can be good for any child.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JoeyRed

I think it just means only a parent is to drop and collect them the first 2 weeks; not to stay for the full time during the 2 weeks iykwim. That's how it is in ours anyway-no childminders etc dropping off. It's to allow the teacher to chat to you if they are having trouble settling or any issues. That's how I'd read it anyway!!

• Advertisement

JoeyRed wrote: »
    I think it just means only a parent is to drop and collect them the first 2 weeks; not to stay for the full time during the 2 weeks iykwim. That's how it is in ours anyway-no childminders etc dropping off. It's to allow the teacher to chat to you if they are having trouble settling or any issues. That's how I'd read it anyway!!

'We are asking parents of ALL new children to stay with their children for the first two weeks'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

optogirl wrote: »
    'We are asking parents of ALL new children to stay with their children for the first two weeks'

Asking, so not compulsory

sword1 wrote: »
    Asking, so not compulsory

I know yes but when I made some noise about it being a bit difficult with work the response was 'Oh..is there ANYONE who could attend with him? If it's really a problem I suppose we could try to work something out.'

I mean, it's not a major problem, we can figure it out, just seems to me to be a bit much to expect people to be available for 2 full weeks for this and also, I think, will make it harder for him in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

optogirl wrote: »
    I know yes but when I made some noise about it being a bit difficult with work the response was 'Oh..is there ANYONE who could attend with him? If it's really a problem I suppose we could try to work something out.'

I mean, it's not a major problem, we can figure it out, just seems to me to be a bit much to expect people to be available for 2 full weeks for this and also, I think, will make it harder for him in the long run

Just say you can't do it and let them deal with it, there probably are some kids who have never been apart from their parents who might struggle but it sounds like you are not in that category

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JoeyRed

sword1 wrote: »
    Just say you can't do it and let them deal with it, there probably are some kids who have never been apart from their parents who might struggle but it sounds like you are not in that category

I'd be the same-say it's just not possible. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Is it an Early Start programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's a long time since ours were in in pre-school, but at that stage, the guidance was specifically to NOT hang around - make a clean break and let the staff get on with minding the child.

Advertisement