Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not meeting the General entry requirements

Options
  • 17-08-2017 12:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

I just failed 3 subjects in my leaving cert leaving me with 239 points, I thought I could still get into a level 7 course since I had enough points but I realised in every single course you need to have passed 6subjects, 2 H5, ( which I got) and 4 H7 (2 short), and I was wondering if I could still get into it, maybe there's an exception or a different way of still getting an offer, I just don't want to re do the leaving cert and also back to dreaded secondary school, I'm applying for an IT (institute of Technology) and I heard you only need to pass maths and English for their general requirements (but on the cao it says 2h5s and 4h7s) since I want to study computing, hopefully someone can help so I don't have to worry about this problem anymore

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You will have to meet any Minimum Entry Requirements for a course before the computer even looks at your points.

If memory serves me correctly, IoTs often require only 5 subjects for Level 7 Higher Cert courses. These equate basically to the first two years of the degree, and a good result at the end of the two years will normally mean that you are allowed to progress to Year 3.

If I'm reading you correctly, however, it sounds like you only have 4 subjects to play with, and I wouldn't be too optimistic about your chances if so.

You could consider doing a PLC in a computing area rather than repeating LC; if you do go this route, do your research thoroughly though and make sure that the one you choose will qualify you for the course you want in the IoT, and take good note from Day 1 of the grades which you will need to get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Drumthumbnumb

You will have to meet any Minimum Entry Requirements for a course before the computer even looks at your points.

If memory serves me correctly, IoTs often require only 5 subjects for Level 7 Higher Cert courses. These equate basically to the first two years of the degree, and a good result at the end of the two years will normally mean that you are allowed to progress to Year 3.

If I'm reading you correctly, however, it sounds like you only have 4 subjects to play with, and I wouldn't be too optimistic about your chances if so.

You could consider doing a PLC in a computing area rather than repeating LC; if you do go this route, do your research thoroughly though and make sure that the one you choose will qualify you for the course you want in the IoT, and take good note from Day 1 of the grades which you will need to get.
    Can I apply for courses that are left over?

If my courses still has places I can be accepted for the course regardless of what results I got, right?

Can I apply for courses that are left over?
    You can, if you meet any minimum requirements applicable.
    If my courses still has places I can be accepted for the course regardless of what results I got, right?
    No, if that was true why would anyone bother working for their LC?!

Minimum Requirements are there for a reason - to ensure that anyone who gets a place on the course is capable of completing the course and has demonstrated that capability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Drumthumbnumb

Minimum Requirements are there for a reason - to ensure that anyone who gets a place on the course is capable of completing the course and has demonstrated that capability.

That is the biggest bull**** I have ever heard, so even if I got 525 points and failed one subject leaving me with 5 subjects i would not be able to enter absolutely any ****ing course that was level 8 and even if the course had vacant spaces and the subject was a optional non related subject like music that i would have failed and I would be applying for computing that is 300 points for example, I would still not be able to join?? Because if that's what you're saying then that is ****ing bollox and you can go **** yourself and a bot won't make my ****ing life decisions you dumb twat

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well. You are quite the stroppy kid, aren't you.

Best of luck with growing up. I hear college is a great place to do that, but you'll probably have to wait a year to find out.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

That is the biggest bull**** I have ever heard, so even if I got 525 points and failed one subject leaving me with 5 subjects i would not be able to enter absolutely any ****ing course that was level 8 and even if the course had vacant spaces and the subject was a optional non related subject like music that i would have failed and I would be applying for computing that is 300 points for example, I would still not be able to join?? Because if that's what you're saying then that is ****ing bollox and you can go **** yourself and a bot won't make my ****ing life decisions you dumb twat
    It might not be fair but it's true. I did really well in my leaving cert but just about scraped Irish at ordinary level. I went on to study Science in Trinity which requires absolutely zero Irish but if I had failed it, that's it. No level 8 for me even though I got just under 500 points. 

The points system is there to ration out limited places. The minimum subject requirements are there to weed out people who probably won't be able to finish the course which is a huge waste of resources for the college. A college would rather have spare places go vacant then give them to people they feel have a low chance of finishing the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

erm unless points have changed how could you get 525 points from 5 subjects ? I was going to help you but seeing as you have been rude as hell to people i wont.you have a lot of growing up to do with an attitude like that.maybe if u had studied harder you wouldnt be in the situation your in.anywho best of luck caio

Because if that's what you're saying then that is ****ing bollox and you can go **** yourself and a bot won't make my ****ing life decisions you dumb twat
    Wow!!

A bot isn't making your life decisions, you did that over the last two years.

And why you're taking it out on me, I have no idea ... I didn't make your decisions that led you to only passing 4 subjects, nor did I set the college admissions requirements.

We also require a reasonable level of civility on Boards, and that tirade certainly falls well below the standard required. A few days to cool off might help - let's be kind given that you've had a pretty bad day already, and leave it at 3 days. - Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

troyzer wrote: »
    A college would rather have spare places go vacant then give them to people they feel have a low chance of finishing the course.
    They would in their holes.

They get a big wad of cash for every student who registers. Have you not noticed the ridiculous drop out and failure rates in the first year of the IT sector?

endacl wrote: »
    They would in their holes.

They get a big wad of cash for every student who registers. Have you not noticed the ridiculous drop out and failure rates in the first year of the IT sector?
    Actually, Enda, most colleges would prefer to have spare places than give them to people with a poor chance of completing, who are gonna be a huge drain on staff resources during the year, and still will probably go anyway.

Minimum requirements are set to try and weed out those who don't have a reasonable chance, insofar as it can be estimated. They're a blunt instrument and far from perfect; you know yourself there's so many other factors apart from the points on entry that contribute to whether a student does or does not do well on their course.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement