Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Available Places CAO

Options
  • 16-08-2017 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm just asking for a friend who wasn''t at all happy with his results today. Hes almost certain he won't get offered any course on Monday and was wondering how exactly do the Available Places work? There's a course on the available places page right now that he's interested in (and doesn't currently have on his cao). Can he apply for this before Monday or does he wait until Monday to do it? On top of that, are the Places on those courses offered in order of higher points too or does is it more first come first serve? Thanks for anyone who has a bit of info!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Hey, I'm just asking for a friend who wasn't at all happy with his results today. Hes almost certain he won't get offered any course on Monday and was wondering how exactly do the Available Places work?

http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=aboutVPL ;)
    There's a course on the available places page right now that he's interested in (and doesn't currently have on his cao). Can he apply for this before Monday or does he wait until Monday to do it?
    https://www.cao.ie/apply.php?page=vpl_enter
    On top of that, are the Places on those courses offered in order of higher points too or does is it more first come first serve? Thanks for anyone who has a bit of info!
    Normally, ranked by points among those applying for Available Places. In some cases, there may be a minimum points cut-off, and usually the normal minimum requirements for the course will apply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Drumthumbnumb

He most likely will be able to apply for the course after the round one is closed after people accept the offer or not from the course, if he is lucky and there are still places left he can still apply for this course, in terms of the first served idea, I believe that it might be like that, unless a crowd of people apply for the course at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Thanks very much for the info guys.

Another question is that he actually failed one of his subjects. He only did 6 subjects this year but as a repeat he passed subjects last year that he didn't do this year (I.e. Maths and Irish). I know you can use your matriculation requirements from different years, but the requirement that requires you to have 6 passes, can you use 5 from one year and 1 from the other if they are 6 different subjects? Sorry for all the questions, I just feel so bad for him and I just want to try to help him out as best as I can!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes, you can combine years for minimum requirements, he's all right there; it's only with points that they all have to come from one sitting of the LC.

(Except with medicine, but that doesn't apply here)

Advertisement