Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid vs HDF kitchen

Options
  • 16-08-2017 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I am in the middle of a new build and trying to decide on a kitchen. Our kitchen man recommends painted HDF as opposed to a painted solid wood door. Should a HDF door be cheaper than a solid door? I want something hard wearing, so it's more about the quality than the cost, but don't want to get ripped off either! Before now, I'd never heard of HDF for kitchen doors, only MDF. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Candlemania

Hi,

MDF is medium density fibreboard and HDF is high density fibreboard, so the HDF one is much harder and denser than the MDF.

Pro's and con's of soild wood kitchen doors:
    - can shrink, crack or buckle due to heat and humidity
    - they look best in their natural colour (unpainted)
    - paint over wood can look grainy and it’s hard to cover any knots with paint
    - the advantage is that they can be painted any colour (sometimes it's not possible with MDF, please read below)
    - they are more expensive than MDF

Pro's and con's of MDF kitchen doors:
    - less expensive than solid wood
    - more durable than solid wood
    - can be milled into raised panel or tongue and groove (panel and frame in solid wood door requires 6 different pieces of wood to be connected per door)
    - MDF alone is not an adequate material for door and drawer fronts. It easily chips, will swell when subjected to water, and does not take paint well. Because of this, MDF needs a solid, not liquid (paint) protective covering
    - many kitchen companies sell thermofoil MDF kitchen doors these days (a step up from laminate), which usually means you're limited to a few colours only.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 manfromthemoon

Hi Many thanks for your reply .Would you know if hdf doors can be supplied for kitchens. Our kitchen fitter is adament that his doors are fully hdf but i have never heard of this . Also he reckons that they are the same price as the wooden ones.
    Any feedback appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭cobham

Our painted HDF doors have deteriorated badly mainly from water damage mainly around sink area and cupboard over kettle. Expensive job to replace as not standard sizes. Rest of kitchen is fine nearly 20 yrs on.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Hdf is just higher density for better painting. MRMDF is moisture resistant mdf. Typically the doors for a painted kitchen would be a paintable timber with mrmdf panel.

Advertisement