Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth appealing?

Options
  • 16-08-2017 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    There were two little shocks when I saw my results today. I got H3 in Geography and a H3 in Chemistry. Walking out of the exams I was certain the absolute minimum I'd get in both of them was H2. I wrote A LOT in both papers (got 4 extra sheets in chemisty) , could it just be that the corrector got pissed off at me and thought "screw you"? Is there point in appealing? Even if I get both of them to go up a grade I'd miss out at my course ( my only hope is getting in through the HEAR scheme). In the case that I get both of them to go up and I get higher points that the points who the lowest HEAR student got on first round offer, would I be offered a place ( provided I don't actually meet the min entry points (normal route)) or is it there a special rule for HEAR students. I wouldn't be commenting if I didn't truely believe that I deserved a higher grade, and I'm fairly good at estimating on how well I did, but is that often the case with students? Bad judgement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Well it'd be no harm to at least view the scripts with a teacher and decide where to go from there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well it'd be no harm to at least view the scripts with a teacher and decide where to go from there.
    This.

View scripts, get a teacher (preferably one who has marked before) to view them with you, decide from there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Was the person who corrected your previous exams an experienced corrector?

Highly unlikely any corrector 'got pissed off' at you.

Take someone who has actually corrected in with you to the viewing of the papers and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dorado99

spurious wrote: »
    Was the person who corrected your previous exams an experienced corrector?

Highly unlikely any corrector 'got pissed off' at you.

Take someone who has actually corrected in with you to the viewing of the papers and see what they say.

Thanks for a new perspective, that clears it up a bit. My geography teacher has been teaching for 20 years but has never corrected a paper. My grades in his class very fluctuating by 25% , yet the standard as far as I could tell remained the same and I thought I deserved to be on the top end of the fluctuations. Got a H2 in the mocks and did better in the actual exam but I guess that may have not been enough. I spent an average of 45 minutes a day since September studying for the subject since I knew I had to study more for the subject in which I had a bad teacher in ( learned from JC), but this was just as good as taking up a new subject because I didn't learn anything in the class. This increased amount of study probably gave me extra confidence but my standard was still not on par with what I in hindsight wanted it to be.

As for Chemistry, I still expect a higher grade.

Ended up getting my lowest results (joint 6 best) after studying the most for them. Scary to think what would have happened if I didn't divert my attention to them :D:D.

I don't trust either of the teachers to look at my papers, due to their lack of experience. I'll probably go in on my own, which probably won't be that useful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The most common error is a mistake made on adding up the marks. That's the one to look for first.

Then, go through each question along with the marking scheme and see did you give what they were looking for. There should be a mark in pen beside everything the corrector gave a mark for. If you can't find someone who corrected those exact subjects, anyone who has corrected will do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement