Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unhappy with my Leaving cert results

Options
  • 16-08-2017 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I got 152 in the LC. I know it's my own fault and I was just lazy. I was planning to wait till Monday to see about college offers. I applied for level 7 courses. I was planning to repeat external. I don't know what to do. If I do repeat, I would study more. The only reason I got a bad result, I was off a lot due to my chronic asthma. Can someone offer some advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Daniellekerr

august12 wrote: »
    What are your interests? Have you checked the new apprentice website, i.e. learning on the job with some study days, where are you living?

I live in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrhoppy

Have you considered a PLC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Repeat external? Like not go into school but study by yourself? That would be a complete disaster. You would only be fooling yourself. You could have been studying this year when you were off sick if you had wanted to.

There are loads of articles in the paper and help lines this time of the year. Go and ring some of them and see what your options are. A PLC sounds like your best bet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think a PLC would be a great idea, if you can find one that you're interested in. Unless you've a specific goal in mind for why you need the points, I think repeating the Leaving Cert is a waste of time. I teach at third level and find that some of our students who come via a PLC can be the most motivated and mature in the class, even though their original leaving cert points mightn't be too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

You could repeat 6th year and complete your Leaving cert again. This would be a much better idea than studying yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Look at a PLC course that you might have an interest in, also remember if you do decide to repeat you don't have to go back to the same school. You could go to some kind of repeat college/etc. It's not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Op, what points to do you think you capable of if you put im the effort and is there a particular course would you like to do?
    Repeat if there is a course you really want to do. Do not repeat externally.

Repeat external? Like not go into school but study by yourself? That would be a complete disaster. You would only be fooling yourself. You could have been studying this year when you were off sick if you had wanted to.

There are loads of articles in the paper and help lines this time of the year. Go and ring some of them and see what your options are. A PLC sounds like your best bet.

There is no Plc for law. I could hardly be studying when I was lying in bed having problems breathing.
    Look at a PLC course that you might have an interest in, also remember if you do decide to repeat you don't have to go back to the same school. You could go to some kind of repeat college/etc. It's not the end of the world.

I live in Donegal. There is no repeat college in my area. The nearest one is in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I live in Donegal. There is no repeat college in my area. The nearest one is in Galway.

Sorry, I didn't relies that would you be willing to go to a different secondary school or back to your own?
    Have you any relatives down the country you could stay with if you did have to travel?
    Can I ask what were you interested in doing?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There is no Plc for law.
    Law by the sounds of it ...

• Advertisement

Sorry, I didn't relies that would you be willing to go to a different secondary school or back to your own?
    Have you any relatives down the country you could stay with if you did have to travel?
    Can I ask what were you interested in doing?

Law with Criminal Justice.
    Law by the sounds of it ...
    ??

??
    ?? yourself! :D

Fresh asked what you were interested in doing, I said it sounded like you wanted Law, you've just confirmed it!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

I got 152 in the LC. I know it's my own fault and I was just lazy. I was planning to wait till Monday to see about college offers. I applied for level 7 courses. I was planning to repeat external. I don't know what to do. If I do repeat, I would study more. The only reason I got a bad result, I was off a lot due to my chronic asthma. Can someone offer some advice?

So were you just lazy as you say or was it your asthma as you also say?

?? yourself! :D

Fresh asked what you were interested in doing, I said it sounded like you wanted Law, you've just confirmed it!! ;)

😂 Alright
    So were you just lazy as you say or was it your asthma as you also say?

Both but mostly it was my asthma

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

https://www.fetchcourses.ie

The new site for all Further Education / PLC courses

http://www.apprenticeship.ie/en/apprentice/Pages/ApprenticeInfo.aspx

List of apprenticeships - not sure if locations are suitable

trihead wrote: »
    https://www.fetchcourses.ie

The new site for all Further Education / PLC courses

http://www.apprenticeship.ie/en/apprentice/Pages/ApprenticeInfo.aspx

List of apprenticeships - not sure if locations are suitable

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

There is no Plc for law.

I think there are gateway plc courses you could do to get in
    Might be better than repeating

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/study-maynooth/undergraduate-studies/how-apply/qqifetac-recognised-courses-linked-our-degrees

Lackey wrote: »
    There is no Plc for law.

I think there are gateway plc courses you could do to get in
    Might be better than repeating

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/study-maynooth/undergraduate-studies/how-apply/qqifetac-recognised-courses-linked-our-degrees

Thanks but I applied for law in the local college. I can't move away due to personal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

You could do a further education course in legal studies in north west regional college, give you a year to mature, and give you a chance to get in to Letterkenny IT.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    You could do a further education course in legal studies in north west regional college, give you a year to mature, and give you a chance to get in to Letterkenny IT.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Did you do business for the LC? Maybe that could help you into a sales role?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

What level 7 courses were you interested in doing, list them in order of preference from 1st to third? Then someone here might be able to suggest plc course linking to third level. This would save you having to repeat if you are willing to work hard in order to achieve as many distinctions as possible.

tedpan wrote: »
    Did you do business for the LC? Maybe that could help you into a sales role?

I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Madjackjr

As a teacher and someone who repeated myself this would be my advice. Repeating externally is a disaster trust me. If you get on with the staff in the school you are in, repeat there. You don't have to sit all the same subjects again. This includes English, Irish and Maths. The grades from these subjects will carry to the next leaving cert but the points won't. Think of repeating as a points game. Pick your best 8 subjects. Drop anything you really weak at and replace with easier subjects. Look to practical subjects or subjects with project work. These projects often make up to 50% of you marks before you even sit your exam. For example I got a C2 in Higher English first time around, I dropped it and replaced it with Higher Engineering and got a B1 in it.
    Hope this helps

Good advice, except I wouldn't be doing 8 subjects in a repeat LC; 7 at maximum!

Madjackjr wrote: »
    As a teacher and someone who repeated myself this would be my advice. Repeating externally is a disaster trust me. If you get on with the staff in the school you are in, repeat there. You don't have to sit all the same subjects again. This includes English, Irish and Maths. The grades from these subjects will carry to the next leaving cert but the points won't. Think of repeating as a points game. Pick your best 8 subjects. Drop anything you really weak at and replace with easier subjects. Look to practical subjects or subjects with project work. These projects often make up to 50% of you marks before you even sit your exam. For example I got a C2 in Higher English first time around, I dropped it and replaced it with Higher Engineering and got a B1 in it.
    Hope this helps

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

6 is more than enough for repeating !

Advertisement