Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realistic budget

Options
  • 16-08-2017 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there I was hoping to get opinions on whether I'm being realistic when it comes to a budget for renovations on a house I've an offer on

The house is a 100m2 4 bedroom semi detached in kerry built in the 1980's. I've had a builder look at it he says it's structurally sound and the wiring looks good bar installing a new fuse box. There is a flat roof on the converted garage that will need to be replaced in the next few years but the roof on the main house is sound

The work it needs are:
    New kitchen (room is 4.65x2.85m)
    New bathroom
    Laminate floor throughout
    Windows x 10 (windows are sound, the builder says they'd last another 3 years + but they are single glazed and I think a reason for a ber rating of e)
    Painting throughout

At my current offer price I will have €18000-€20,000 left for renovations after taxes and fees. Is this even realistic? I'm aware I won't be able to get top end finishes but I am willing to compromise and install basic finishes now that I can upgrade down the line. I could also look at topping the budget up by €5000-€7000 by getting a loan

Any opinions welcome, I'm a first time buyer so am inexperienced when it comes to this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Windows will probably be the biggest outlay. My new build 3 years ago cost around €18k + VAT for, at a really rough guess, would be about three times what you have in terms of glazing.
    For house comfort, good windows, good attic insulation and good wall insulation should be the biggest influencers. You might be able to get a BER rating done and ask what difference can be made by choosing certain windows/ insulation etc. Not sure if there are still grants available for insulation work. Also worth having a look at central heating (boiler and rads) to make sure they're up to stratch. I'd rather have a pink bathroom suite than live in a cold house!!
    Your budget sounds realistic but the only way to be sure is get a quote for each of the items.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

No mention of wall insulation. Worth considering to achieve andnoverlap with the new windows. Also worth reviewing boiler and heating system (the main reason for the E rating)- any gun barrel pipes, for example?

Advertisement