Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler Advice

Options
  • 15-08-2017 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Bought a house a year ago approx 40 years old. Boiler is as old as the hills. It is situated in a shed out the back which I have been told is losing a lot of heat as it travels plus the fact it is an old boiler so it is not economical anyway. House takes ages to heat up and the thermostat does not work. I am looking to upgrade the whole system but I am looking for advice.
    *First of all should I even be considering switching to gas?
    *I have been quoted 5 grand including the grant for an overhaul new boiler, new boiler housing, flush, new cyclinder, new controls and zoning etc. Presentation is really effective but could I get better value for money as it is tight?
    *Would anyone have any other advice on this scenario, I am completely in the dark and have no clue so any advice or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Grant oil boilers is my only recommendation, compared to other's.

Get 3 prices to compare, but make sure it's LIKE FOR LIKE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Grant oil too. But if you have access to natural gas then go for that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

One thing to watch is whether your tank also needs replacement, or will need replacement within a few years. Personally, I would probably go for gas.

Advertisement