Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone photo quality

Options
  • 15-08-2017 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

I have a photo on my iPhone 4S which I'd like to get printed out and framed.

Problem is, I've done this before and it came out like complete sh*t. It was grainier than a jar full of grain and I'll be giving it away as a wedding gift, so quality is paramount.

Is it possible to get a great copy of it, like if I send it to an iPhone 7 and have them print it out or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Print it out and then take a photo of the photo on an iPhone 7. Will be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

It'll still have the same resolution if you send it to an iPhone 7 unfortunately, you can reduce resolution but never add it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Ah but what if it was sent by an iPhone 6? I didn't take the initial photo. Does that make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Ah but what if it was sent by an iPhone 6? I didn't take the initial photo. Does that make a difference?

Get the original by email or whatever and see what it's like. If the original photo was taken using the zoom on the iPhone then it'll be grainer than a supersize jar of grain. iPhone zoom is sh1t as it's digital zoom and doesn't compare with optical zoom.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Get the original by email or whatever and see what it's like. If the original photo was taken using the zoom on the iPhone then it'll be grainer than a supersize jar of grain. iPhone zoom is sh1t as it's digital zoom and doesn't compare with optical zoom.

I'll give the game away if I request that. I guess I'll just have to send it to an iPhone 7 and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It'll still have the same resolution if you send it to an iPhone 7 unfortunately, you can reduce resolution but never add it.
    I'll give the game away if I request that. I guess I'll just have to send it to an iPhone 7 and hope for the best.

Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

If you have a friend who's into photography, email the pic to them so they can open it on their computer, and see what they can do in Lightroom or photoshop to reduce noise and sharpen (tastefully !) prior to print + maybe some other printing prep that might make the most of it (sizing, resolution...). Friend can then save it somewhere (usb stick...) for you to bring to chemist to print.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Dork docs can help you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If you have a friend who's into photography, email the pic to them so they can open it on their computer, and see what they can do in Lightroom or photoshop to reduce noise and sharpen (tastefully !) prior to print + maybe some other printing prep that might make the most of it (sizing, resolution...). Friend can then save it somewhere (usb stick...) for you to bring to chemist to print.

..or you could give the phone to your local CSI and wait for the A1 pristine copy where you can count the hairs on a fleas bum.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It could be improved slightly in photoshop but there's only so much you can do with a small jpeg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

just dont send it to andorid phone or youll be f**&&ed :pac:

mods move this crap to photography and, OP get some basic pc lessons :D

since following your mindset i should be able to watch bw movies in color on my flatscreen theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Also, if the resolution is crap try to keep the final print reasonably small. The bigger you make it, the more obvious the crappy quality will be.

Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpg

This was before I revealed it wasn't taken on an iPhone 4S, which changes the complexion of the problem I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If the photo was taken outside there is some hope, if it's indoors it may as well be a sketch by a chimp with a blunt crayon.

How big do you want it printed ??

I've printed plenty up to A2 from iPhones but only those outdoors in good sunlight will look good. Evening, sunset, or much black in the photo and it will look sketchy.
    Printing onto canvas will help a bit as the slight texture helps.

I'm away at the moment or I'd offer to look at it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

This was before I revealed it wasn't taken on an iPhone 4S, which changes the complexion of the problem I think.

Head in hands man still applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Another thing I'd recommend if your making a gift up from iPhone photos is make a collage, you can add a few photos and as each is smaller the lack of resolution is less noticeable.

_Brian wrote: »
    Another thing I'd recommend if your making a gift up from iPhone photos is make a collage, you can add a few photos and as each is smaller the lack of resolution is less noticeable.

Yeah that's a good shout I've got several of them so I'll look into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

..or you could give the phone to your local CSI and wait for the A1 pristine copy where you can count the hairs on a fleas bum.....

"ENHANCE ! ENHANCE !"

I've never owned an i-anything, so I've no idea what quality the pics would be from the word go, tbh.

I do remember improving mil's crappy Android (!!!) device pics with Lightroom once, somewhat. Not great of course, but she was happy enough at least she got something, not just digital.

scamalert wrote: »
    just dont send it to andorid phone or youll be f**&&ed :pac:

mods move this crap to photography and, OP get some basic pc lessons :D

since following your mindset i should be able to watch bw movies in color on my flatscreen theory.

What's your favourite movie? Alien, because of all the andorids?

I'll get PC lessons when you get spelling lessons.

Advertisement