Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University and hidden fees, what can I do?

Options
  • 15-08-2017 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Im currently registering for a 1 year postgrad. The college website states the fees for the course are 5,500 + 100 levy and I was told in my interview that fees were 5,500. I already paid 200 euro deposit which was to come out of the 5,500. This should mean I now have to pay 5.400.

On the online registration page it now says the fees are €5938 meaning with the added deposit the fees total 6,000. I was never informed the fees were this price.
    I dont have that extra money. Is this the university chancing their arm? What can I do? 500 euro is a huge amount for me. I dont want to pay that added hidden cost as 1. I dont have it and 2. Not once was I informed that this was the total cost of the course. I would have accepted the place somewhere else.

Any ideas about how I can approach this with the university? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Im currently registering for a 1 year postgrad. The college website states the fees for the course are 5,500 + 100 levy and I was told in my interview that fees were 5,500. I already paid 200 euro deposit which was to come out of the 5,500. This should mean I now have to pay 5.400.

On the online registration page it now says the fees are €5938 meaning with the added deposit the fees total 6,000. I was never informed the fees were this price.
    I dont have that extra money. Is this the university chancing their arm? What can I do? 500 euro is a huge amount for me. I dont want to pay that added hidden cost as 1. I dont have it and 2. Not once was I informed that this was the total cost of the course. I would have accepted the place somewhere else.

Any ideas about how I can approach this with the university? thanks

Speak to the uni and ask them what's the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

E-mail them and ask. They might let you work at the canteen to cover the fees. E-mail the student union. Also tell them that everyone on Boards know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ring college. Ask question. Done.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

If you can afford 5,500 how is 6,000 suddenly so drastically unaffordable that you are unable to do the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ring them and speak to them. Explain it.

If you have huge difficulties paying contact the student union welfare officer to see if a hardship case loan can be considered.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    If you can afford 5,500 how is 6,000 suddenly so drastically unaffordable that you are unable to do the course?

Because its taken me 2 years to save the 5,500. An extra 500 is a huge amount for me that I wasnt expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Shoebox1926

Thanks everyone, i'll contact them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

Sell your hole and sell it quick .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Put the 5k on spurs to beat chelsea at the weekend, problem solved :)

€100 on top doesn't sound so bad. UCD's charge on top of the official "fees" was €247 last year. They call it the "Student Centre Levy". You can't claim tax back on it (as you can do with 80% of your fees).

The college will probably be very understanding if you can't pay them it all up front. I think UCD had a €500 or something limit to how much you could owe them and still not be refused access to your semester exam results. Just have a chat with somebody in Admin and it should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

I see you already have a post in Teachers & Lecturing, so I'll close this.

In future, please don't post in more than one forum to gain a larger audience

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement