Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I import from the UK

Options
  • 14-08-2017 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi guys just looking for some advice on buying a new bike. looking for a nice CBR600F. few nice ones around Ireland but the market in the UK and Germany are a good bit better and wondering is it worth the hassle?

I have a total of 3000 to spend so its not a crazy budget but would it be worth importing an older bike such as a 03 CBR 600F? some of the bikes in Germany look really well looked after with such low mileage compared to Irish bikes and around 1000 cheaper but with the cost of shipping it would it be worth it?

I'm only on my provisional licence so otherwise i would travel over myself and bring it back but the insurance wont cover me outside of Ireland so i'll have no one to physically look at the bike before i buy. Am i better off buying in Ireland and maybe waiting a few years when i upgrade to another bike and have a full licence to cut the cost of bringing it back and then import? i think the cost turns out at around 500 for shipping and another 150-200 for VRT.

Would there really be that much difference in the quality of bikes from Germany and UK compared to Ireland?. If anyone knows anyone going over in the next month to bring back a few motorbikes id be interested to see if i could jump in with them and chip in to get a bike brought back.

got really screwed over when i bought my first bike as i had no one to check it for me and as a result i only had it a month before it completely broke down and wasn't worth fixing! as a result i have been motorbikeless for 8 months saving for a new one and really don't want to make the same mistake twice!

Any information and help is appreciated guys thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you buy from a reputable dealer in the UK you can usually be sure that the bike will be OK, email and ask for loads of photos beforehand. I know several people who've bought sight unseen and been OK. My 1st bike I got from a UK dealership, I was lucky that I'd friend close by to check it out and while my friend was checking the bike out the dealer was saying that they'd sell a bike unseen to Ireland and within a few weeks they'd get a load of the persons mates buying bikes unseen from them. It turned out it was a garage another friend had recommended when I was looking around and I only copped it when I was talking to them.

You can get a bike from the UK to Dublin port for about €200. Getting from Germany will be more expensive and a bit of hassle, technically you'll need to change the dipped beam to flick the correct way which is anything from a lever in the headlight unit to a new headlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

NI is an option that is easily overlooked. Same bike culture and attention to maintenance as England as well as MoT. Minus the airfare/ferry to bring it back. I've done both and would look north before going any farther.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

1st I bought was unseen from a dealer but he was happy to send on any photos I asked for.
    Last I bought was private, same thing, he provided photos of FSH and anything else I asked.
    There are a lot of dealers on autotrader that will deliver anywhere in the UK for a small amount.
    For me, it's definitely worth it, bigger selection and a lot are in better condition that what you are getting here for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    NI is an option that is easily overlooked. Same bike culture and attention to maintenance as England as well as MoT. Minus the airfare/ferry to bring it back. I've done both and would look north before going any farther.
    Any decent NI sites for bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Adambutterly

Thanks for the advice lads! i managed to find a nice well looked after bike here so im gonna check it out on Thursday so hopefully it all goes well. its a reasonable price and was offered a warranty and what not also so it seems very good for the price so i think the next upgrade when i have more cash i'll definitely try import because the standard of quality everywhere else seems exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

Thanks for the advice lads! i managed to find a nice well looked after bike here so im gonna check it out on Thursday so hopefully it all goes well. its a reasonable price and was offered a warranty and what not also so it seems very good for the price so i think the next upgrade when i have more cash i'll definitely try import because the standard of quality everywhere else seems exceptional.

The standard here can be exceptional aswell, it depends what your buying. If your getting a 15k 3 year old superbike it will most likely be mint, if you are getting a 10 year old bike touring bike for 3k it might not be.

The only real benefit buying UK apart from weak sterling atm is the sheet volume of bikes available.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sterling rate is extremely low right now so better time than ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Most of the dealers in Dublin and elsewhere at the moment seem to be selling UK imports at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

josh59 wrote: »
    Most of the dealers in Dublin and elsewhere at the moment seem to be selling UK imports at the moment

And making a healthy profit. For convenience buy here, to save money cross the pond yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I just bought a bike in the UK. Will head out next week to ride it back(likely in filthy weather). There were just so many more choices there, and it's the time of year to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

When I bought mine I got someone to go look at it for me - was like new - then I got it delivered to Ireland. Was cheaper than going to get it myself, and obviously a lot less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cheaper to ship it than go & collect it atmo.

German bikes cleaner than uk and no salt exposure. About €350 to get it delivered from Munich to here iirc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement