Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sit on Top Barrow Trip

Options
  • 14-08-2017 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm planning a kayak (Sit on Top) trip on the Barrow from Goresbridge-Clashganny-Graigenumanagh-St. Mullins.

I have paddled a couple of sections of either side of the weir in Graigenumanagh, and I know I can hop out and bypass the weir there easily.

I'm looking for a heads up from anyone with experience of it on any other parts of the River to watch out for on this route.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Inviere

burly wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm planning a kayak (Sit on Top) trip on the Barrow from Goresbridge-Clashganny-Graigenumanagh-St. Mullins.

I have paddled a couple of sections of either side of the weir in Graigenumanagh, and I know I can hop out and bypass the weir there easily.

I'm looking for a heads up from anyone with experience of it on any other parts of the River to watch out for on this route.

Thanks.

Am just back from a 3 day canoe/camp trip from Goresbridge to Graigenumanagh, and prior to that, I had only done a few hours in a kayak. You'll be fine, the only issue for me was the wind was strong at certain parts before Graigenumanagh, which made rowing harder, but also made the water quite choppy in places. All in all though, it's a stunning trip to take, & there's some amazing scenery to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I canoed from Athy to St Mullins a couple of years ago. Took us 2.5 days. I would suggest sourcing a canal lock key, it will save you a lot of time and hassle. In some places, disembarking was quite difficult as the water was very low. Then rolling the canoe up past the lock with all the gear. I found that to be the worst part.

Advertisement