Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I apply for medicine?..

Options
  • 14-08-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm doing my leaving this year (2018) and I don't really know what course I want to do.. I think I like the sound of medicine in ucd as I'm interested in sciences etc but what I'd be most afraid of is not achieving the points and failing. I know that there is an other student in my year definitely applying for medicine so what would the chances be of 2 students from the same school getting accepted be. (He's very smart and will most likely get the points)
    I'm taking all higher level subjects and I generally do well in exams I got 578 points in both the Christmas and summer exams of 5th year..
    Any advice on choosing courses would be appreciated as my guidance counsellor isn't great.
    The subject I'd be most worried about is HL maths as I know how difficult it is to pass although our teacher is very good and wants the best for everyone. He's also giving us around 4 hours (2 hours in school with another 2 out of school voluntarily) extra of maths this year which should be a great help but it's still scary that if you fail this you fail the leaving..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Imagine all courses were the same number of points.

What area do you think you would enjoy working in for 30 years or more?
    Do you prefer working with people or on your own?
    Would it start to frustrate you if as a doctor, people did not follow your advice and mde themselves more ill?
    Does failure at something scare you?
    What is it about being a doctor you think you would enjoy?

Choose a course you can live with, not one because you will get the points for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Kbvdpo wrote: »
    I'm doing my leaving this year (2018) and I don't really know what course I want to do.. I think I like the sound of medicine in ucd as I'm interested in sciences etc but what I'd be most afraid of is not achieving the points and failing. I know that there is an other student in my year definitely applying for medicine so what would the chances be of 2 students from the same school getting accepted be. (He's very smart and will most likely get the points)
    I'm taking all higher level subjects and I generally do well in exams I got 578 points in both the Christmas and summer exams of 5th year..
    Any advice on choosing courses would be appreciated as my guidance counsellor isn't great.
    The subject I'd be most worried about is HL maths as I know how difficult it is to pass although our teacher is very good and wants the best for everyone. He's also giving us around 4 hours (2 hours in school with another 2 out of school voluntarily) extra of maths this year which should be a great help but it's still scary that if you fail this you fail the leaving..
    Hpat can catch out the robots who tend to get 625 sometimes plus i know of plenty of lads around 500 PTA who swanned off to eastern Europe to do medicine, got in no bother. I also know of one lad who went back to Islamabad to do medicine having only done ord Chem and higher bio (he got d1). Put it this way, i wouldn't let him near me with a spoonful of calpol lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

You seem to have yourself well set up for Medicine with all higher level subjects and doing science subjects. Your maths teacher also sounds great for doing extra hours after school so I wouldn't worry about the maths.

Don't compare yourself to a classmate or anyone else. He won't affect your chances of getting what you want.

I think you should explore some science courses to fall back on if Medicine doesn't work out. Some Biomedical Science courses would set you up well for doing a post grad in Medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

All good luck in your choices but as Spurious says dont choose Medicine because it has high points choose it if you are truly interested in it. You have to work very hard to get into Medicine and you have to work very hard to stay in the course so it has to be your choice. People forget that even when you "qualify" that is only a new start and you have more examinations to take for whatever specialty you choose.
    It is such a shame that it isn't easy to shadow a doctor in Ireland. It certainly is not Greys Anatomy. Go for it if that is your choice for a lifetime profession not because of the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Kbvdpo

Thanks. I would be interested in medicine as I enjoy working hard and the sciences. Since I was diagnosed with an illness myself a few years back I became more interested in the work of doctors etc but I'd be afraid of taking ill again and that affecting my chances of doing well in college considering medicine is so expensive I wouldn't want to waste my parents money if I took ill and had to drop out. I have a meeting with our "guidance councillor" in the next two weeks so I'll see is he's any help to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Hi, Undergraduate Medicine isnt any more expensive than any other course except that it takes 5 or 6 years unlike the usual 3 year degree and you have to pay rent / living expenses etc. However many people do a Masters after their first degree so really there is not much difference. Good idea to talk to your guidance teacher but if you can get time with a doctor in hospital or GP that would really help you make up your mind. All Good Luck in your decision. If you like Science and dont mind working hard you should be absolutely fine academically.

Advertisement