Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISO 3way fridge freezer for Campervan

Options
  • 14-08-2017 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Posting on behalf of my parents, their Electrolux one has given up the ghost and a new one is so expensive in the likes of OMearas. I have looked on adverts and Donedeal with no success, any ideas? Tia

Comments

Mad aren't they! 5-9 times the price, of a domestic fridge of comparable size. 8 times less efficient and no automatic internal temperature control on two of the 3 ways.

I recommend going compressor electric and adding the support infrastructure to run it (batteries and solar).
    If you go mains you'll need a big high frequency inverter (1kVA true sine) or a medium low frequency (800VA True Sine).
    12V versions are crazy money too.

I reckon 150W PV and 200Ah of battery will keep an electric fridge with upgraded forced ventilation running most of the year. Payback depends on use for me 1.5 years in spoilt food & bottled gas would pay for the extra solar and battery.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

How big a part can PV panels play in the motorhome area.

Is there a thread on the subject at all?

Are you joking K?
    Thread here.

They can do everything you need from March to October if you set them up correctly and don't spend €200 on PV and €10 on a controller like most have a penchant for doing. It's also the most cost effective power solution for a motorhome when you look at the system lifecycle costs as a whole. I'll never need to renew my current battery the way I'm going.

xoK5WSX.jpg

I can live comfortably from butane, a wood burner and 150Wp most of the year because I have a battery monitor. I deep discharge up to 3 weeks at a time in the Winter.

Once you have a proper battery monitor the rest is easy.

If you give me a load demand I'll tell you how to meet it with a hybrid system and PV as a primary source.

I'd hang another panel for a proper fridge but I've more pressing priorities and tbh I think the next Mk will be a Vario 814, halogen oven, induction hobs, electric fridge, ~235Ah @ 24v & 600Wp PV, butane oven & hobs as a reserve only...or something...

b7271_mw.JPG

I don't use mains unless I have the motor in dock for a service and I find people always credit their alternators with doing 10 times more than they actually do.

Spec the panel to give you three times rated per day. 100Wp = 300Wh a day, this is conservative and you will have no problems once this meets your daily demand.

My stoopid absorption fridge costs me €20 every 3 weeks to run and regularly spoils food anyways when atmospheric conditions change.facepalm.gif If I installed a yolk like that in your house at the price they go for you'd lynch me....Alas....might start with a remote temp. display...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Ha Ha, not joking. Just not motorhome leccy savvy.

Thanks, I,ll check out the thread.

:)

ralph.gif

I'm not much good with a plank though!
    Cut thrice, compound the error is my moto...with timber anyways.

425725.jpg

Me super block is coming along nicely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement