Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

7 Seater Hybrid/Electric

Options
  • 13-08-2017 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry it this was already discussed, I went test driving cars on Friday(always bad idea). Took a nice big diesel 2.0ltr Alhambra for test drive and loved it. Don't worry this is not to replace the eGolf.

I was prepared to invest but said I would think about it. Talking to a mate and he says I am mad because in a year or 2 it might be worthless because of diesel engine. I would be better just driving my SMAX till it falls off the road. Then see if anything available.

Same as the eGolf, the mileage we do is suited to full electric/hybrid but there is nothing out there bar Prius + which is too small.

I am wondering is anyone aware of large 7 seaters coming out? I guess electric is a bit off but hybrid you would expect something? I can't really find anything

In reality I would keep the Alhambra for 10 years+ till kids are grown. Is it that bad of investment? we fully expect to do driving in Dublin daily in that 10 year period....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sorry it this was already discussed, I went test driving cars on Friday(always bad idea). Took a nice big diesel 2.0ltr Alhambra for test drive and loved it. Don't worry this is not to replace the eGolf.

I was prepared to invest but said I would think about it. Talking to a mate and he says I am mad because in a year or 2 it might be worthless because of diesel engine. I would be better just driving my SMAX till it falls off the road. Then see if anything available.

That utter bull$itt. What will people wanting used seven seaters buy?
    am wondering is anyone aware of large 7 seaters coming out? I guess electric is a bit off but hybrid you would expect something? I can't really find anything

Nothing really comes to mind. Anyway, should a hybrid big seven seater be released, it will not be comparable to the price of Alhambra...
    In reality I would keep the Alhambra for 10 years+ till kids are grown. Is it that bad of investment?

Why are you concerned about residential values then? In ten years it will be worthless anyway. Not because it is petrol op l, diesel or hydrogen. It will be damaged by kids, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

grogi wrote: »
    That utter bull$itt. What will people wanting used seven seaters buy?

I agree, but it has just been nagging at me :P

grogi wrote: »
    Why are you concerned about residential values then? In ten years it will be worthless anyway. Not because it is petrol op l, diesel or hydrogen. It will be damaged by kids, that's all.

I am not concerned about residual value. I am more concerned with potential for large tax been slapped onto diesel fuel or congestion charge for Dublin region.

I would keep the car till it would be more or less worthless to be honest so after the period of time it would be only worth something if scrappage was still around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

The Nissan eNV200 Evalia is an electric 7-seater option. Import from the UK only I'm afraid.

Here's one: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707217593181

There's a 38kWh eNV200 on the way in November/December too if you wanted to go new and could wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Less than 16k landed for a 1 year old 7 seater EV seems a lot of value, cros13! I know the range is poor though, what, less than 100km?
    I am more concerned with potential for large tax been slapped onto diesel fuel or congestion charge for Dublin region.

Or a complete ban of diesels entering Dublin city. Would you not consider a petrol 7 seater?

unkel wrote: »
    Less than 16k landed for a 1 year old 7 seater EV seems a lot of value, cros13! I know the range is poor though, what, less than 100km?

They are all mk1.5 24kWh Leaf packs (except actively cooled so rapid charging repeatedly is no issue). So around 10% less in the city and 20% less on the motorway than the 24kWh Leaf.
    A lot of the toys over from the Leaf too including the infotainment system with DAB etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

There is the Prius Plus 7 seater, though it is probably a good bit smaller than an Alhambra.
    I see a few Jap imported Toyota Estima hybrids on Donedeal, but they are big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I found the eNV-200 very noisy on the road despite been electric. I guess it's the fact it's a van and the fact I have not driven many 7 seaters to compare with...

Would Outlander not have a 7-seater PHEV version?

peposhi wrote: »
    I found the eNV-200 very noisy on the road despite been electric. I guess it's the fact it's a van and the fact I have not driven many 7 seaters to compare with...

I didn't notice any particular issue myself. Was it the panel van or the 7 seater you drove?
    The eNV200 panel van is much more pleasant and quiet to drive than it's ICE competitors.
    I've been in the 7-seater and it's quieter than the panel van, although certainly not as quiet as a Leaf.
    peposhi wrote: »
    Would Outlander not have a 7-seater PHEV version?

Nope... guess where they put the batteries in the PHEV?

cros13 wrote: »
    I didn't notice any particular issue myself. Was it the panel van or the 7 seater you drove?
    The eNV200 panel van is much more pleasant and quiet to drive than it's ICE competitors.
    I've been in the 7-seater and it's quieter than the panel van, although certainly not as quiet as a Leaf.

Nope... guess where they put the batteries in the PHEV?

The 7 seater. Phil had one for sale a while a go and took it for a spin in the town. Plenty of space in it though. Suits large family perfect or can be converted to a camper (there was a video of a couple in GB who done that to their van and it was brilliant piece of work, no need to search for an outside power supply for your night lamp lol)

Re Outlander ... should've known that lol Where else would they fit the bat if not there

Yeah I'm afraid there's a bit of a gap in the plugin 7-seater market between the eNV200 Evalia and the Volvo XC90 T8 and Model X which are the next two cheapest 7-seaters.

• Advertisement

I personally would love to see the VW van on sale, but would not mind a BEV converted Q7 either :)

Shefwed, would the eNV2000 Evalia be something that suits your needs?

Less than 16k landed for a 1 year old 7 seater EV seems a lot of value, cros13! I know the range is poor though, what, less than 100km

That's fantastic value...
    Or a complete ban of diesels entering Dublin city. Would you not consider a petrol 7 seater?

Even the controversial ban in London applies only to old diesels, without Euro 4 emissions control. Alhambra in question has Euro5 or even Euro6...

In here the diesel levy is already pushing it, ban to enter with new vehicles will not happen. Not in usable timespan of the vehicle.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Yes I would consider petrol, was looking at the new 5008 with the 1.2 engine but it's too small after a test drive on Friday. Anything bigger seems to only come in durty diesel...or is there petrol versions?

I was going to buy Outlander PHEV but as mentioned the batteries take up the back 2 seats.

My mate has Prius+, Misses test drove it and didn't like it. It's also that little bit small.

You might wonder why I need such a big car, a few years back 2 guys in stolen car drove right into the back of Miss Shefwed car at full speed. Both cars destroyed. As you can imagine she has back problems. A big car like SMAX/Alhambra means she can just fire in the buggy into the boot without too much twisting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

As macnab said, I think the Toyota Estima Hybrid is the only real option in larger non-premium 7-seaters that aren't diesel - and they're all Japanese imports.

As macnab said, I think the Toyota Estima Hybrid is the only real option in larger non-premium 7-seaters that aren't diesel - and they're all Japanese imports.

If simply looking for non-diesels, there are few options...

Ford sells the Galaxy with petrol engine, even in Ireland: Titanium 5 Door 1.5 EcoBoost SCTi 160PS - € 42,585.

There are some in UK as well - exp. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707117279853?postcode=bt364pe&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Petrol&make=FORD&model=GALAXY&sort=sponsored&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&page=5

Or a petrol Alhambra from UK - exp. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708058052597?sort=sponsored&model=ALHAMBRA&postcode=bt364pe&radius=1500&fuel-type=Petrol&make=SEAT&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I meant more hybrids or EVs as what Shefwedfan was originally asking about. I was making the assumption that petrol ICE MPVs were essentially non-existant, but I guess there's still a few options in the UK.

Just to close off this thread. I finally found the answer after much searching

A 2ltr Diesel Galaxy. It broke my heart buying it but I had no other choice. I also needed to get from UK as I wanted Automatic. The 7 seater market is a disaster unless you want to buy a big durty diesel engine.

At least it has a newer engine so might be a little bit better to environment compared to the old SMAX which left a trail of dead wildlife behind it.....

Hopefully when I go to swap this car I will have a proper choice of electric cars....

Both cars swapped this year, I have no idea what I will do next year. Maybe buy my daughter a car for her 5th birthday :-)

Advertisement