Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Four's I Know Who You Are

Options
  • 13-08-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭

Was anyone else watching the Spanish mystery drama, Se Quien Eres ("I Know Who You Are") on BBC Four the past few weeks?

It was about a man, Juan Elias, who has been in a car crash and who claims to have amnesia. He then learns his niece Ana is missing and that traces of her blood have been found in his car.

The series revolves around trying to determine whether he really does have amnesia or is he faking it, and did he hurt or kill his niece, or is someone trying to frame him.

I thought it was a really enjoyable series. If I had to criticize it I'd say it dragged on for a few too many episodes, but that would be a small complaint.

BBC Four have been showing two episodes every Saturday. Last night was the series finale where we found out the truth of what happened. There was a cliffhanger though to set up a second series, which the voiceover lady said BBC would be showing.

Did anyone else watch it and if so, what did they think?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sounds interesting. I'll give it a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

I thought it was brilliant. The acting was superb. I enjoyed it as much as a French drams called Disparu which was equally as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Have it all recorded, looking forward to watching it now.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

Yet another very enjoyable series on BBC4. Lots of twists and turns and kept guessing until the end.

Unfortunately, Inspector Montalbano is back next week so will have to find something else until that finishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just caught the final episode - very enjoyable and a cliff hanger of an ending. Very Spanish - lots of shouting at machine gun speed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Very good series-great ending paving the way for a follow-up..however,some of the acting was very poor IMHO...the girl that played the prosecutor for example...could only deliver with a sour face after prancing up to the object of her snarling delivery..probably the worst case of "over-acting " of a ballsy female character I have seen in a long time...Elias' former lover then also had a permanent scowl and only capable of shouting and complaining also it seemed..not to mention her appalling dress sense!!yhr girl who was kidnapped was also a fairly limited actress...flirting her way through the series in almost childlike mode....the exception to the poor female acting was Elias wife..unlike able character but excellently portrayed I thought...I don't normally comment on the acting abilities of any actors but I thought those three were astonishingly poor!
    Enjoyable series though-I look forward to the next one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

Unfortunately, Inspector Montalbano is back next week so will have to find something else until that finishes.
    Professor T - more4 - maybe?

I see that BBC4 are repeating Inspector Montalbano on Tuesday nights.
    They used to repeat all their Sat evening foreign drama and I wouldn't mind if they continue this for other series.

Just caught the final episode

No you didn't.

There are actually 16 episodes in the series of which BBC4 have shown the first 10.

The last 6 will follow later this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Know_Who_You_Are

https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.com/2017/08/25/the-killing-times-frankly-enormous-autumnwinter-crime-drama-preview/#more-7420

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

brian_t wrote: »
    No you didn't.

There are actually 16 episodes in the series of which BBC4 have shown the first 10.

I had no idea there were more in this series! What's the point in buying a mystery series and only showing 5/8 of it. :mad: :(

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

No you didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Know_Who_You_Are

https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.com/2017/08/25/the-killing-times-frankly-enormous-autumnwinter-crime-drama-preview/#more-7420

I did know that actually.

• Advertisement

According to DigiGuide - BBC4 are are showing single episodes of this after 1.30am starting on Tuesday 24th October and continuing each night.

There are no programme details given.

They are hardly repeating the first part so this must be the remainder of the series.

Wow, talk about the graveyard slot.

From BBC Four page on this series
    BBC Four to air Series 2
    I Know Who You Are will return soon to BBC Four.

According to DigiGuide - BBC4 are are showing single episodes of this after 1.30am starting on Tuesday 24th October and continuing each night.

There are no programme details given.

DigiGuide have updated their schedules for that week and it seems that BBC4 are showing the series again from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Hopefully they show the last 6 episodes this time. They have only broadcast 10 of the 16 episodes so far.

After the late night repeats of the first ten episodes, the series resumes at 9pm on Saturday 4th November (with a double bill)

Heads up that the show returns tonight. Hopefully it's worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Poochie05

So this is a continuation rather than a new series? No point in watching if I haven't seen the previous episodes?

Poochie05 wrote: »
    So this is a continuation rather than a new series? No point in watching if I haven't seen the previous episodes?

Yeah it was a continuation and you'd be lost if you tried to get into it now. I've followed it from the start and struggle to keep up at times. :pac:

I'd recommend keeping an eye out for it if they ever repeat it from the beginning in future.

So the final episodes ended last night in two extended episodes. I believe it was over three hours in total.

I must say I really enjoyed it. It was full of twists and turns and I flip-flopped twice in terms of how I thought it would all go.

Overall I thought it was a great series. By the end I found myself conflicted between wanting another series, and yet feeling like it was satisfactory in how it concluded. I'm not sure if they will try for another series but if it's over as it was, I'm content with it.

The show was not without its flaws. Some of the occurrences in the plot were very convenient to the story and could be seen as stretching credibility to the limit, and as was noted some of the acting was a bit hammy, but if you just want a show that takes you along for a compelling ride and which is full of mystery, then this show won't disappoint. The ending had me on the edge of my seat.

Another thing I think is quite good about the show is the soundtrack. I felt it really added to the atmosphere. I loved the score they played over the end credits:

I would say to anyone who missed it that it's worth a look if you can get a chance to see it. It's one of those shows I could see myself watching again with someone who hasn't seen it just so I could see how they react to the story.

I'm sad it's all over but I was pleased to see BBC advertising the French show Witnesses to start next week. I remember seeing the first season on Channel 4 and really enjoying that, and I don't believe you need to have seen the first season to enjoy this new season that BBC have bought so that should be worth a look too.

• Advertisement

Blimey! It's over. Phew. Watched the last episode late night. far too long, really. It's as if they were determined to allow every character to face two directions (at least) resulting in a lot of writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Thought the whole thing was quite torturous on the whole-could have/should have wrapped it up a good 4 episodes sooner...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I messed up my series tracker on this. What episode number did the last batch start on?

I messed up my series tracker on this. What episode number did the last batch start on?

There's 16 episodes in total but BBC cut it up as Series 1 (the first 10 episodes before the break) and Series 2 (the final 6 episodes which returned recently).

Advertisement