Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 days in County Clare: Stay? Eat? See?

Options
  • 13-08-2017 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

To my shame, I don't know Clare at all.

May spend two nights there this coming week.

Where to stay? (Am partial to a good B&B with good restaurants nearby, or, old estate house accommodation that does evening meals also)

What are the must sees in two days

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Clare is a big county with plenty to do, recent article :

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/at-home-for-the-holidays-where-to-stay-rent-and-buy-in-lahinch-1.3171470

The fleadh is on in Ennis this week so doubt you'll get accomodation there.

To do:
    Cliffs of Moher
    The Burren
    Surfing
    Doolin
    Lahinch
    Bridges of Ross
    Loop head
    Kilkee

To stay and eat :
    Moy house - lahinch
    Gregans castle The Burren
    The falls hotel Ennistymon

Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Do the loop head drive. Leave a day free for it. Stop off in Carrigaholt and do the dolphin watch. Find them on Facebook. Go to the Long Dock pub also in Carrigaholt for one of the best chowders I've ever had. Go to Keanes for one of the best pints of Guinness I've ever had. The beach is very clean and small and there's a pier where all the local kids jump in if you have teens with you.

I first went to Carrigaholt about 6 months ago and just fell in love with it. Have been back 4 times since including the recent bank holiday and already can't wait to go back.

Clare is class (and I'm from Kerry :pac:) enjoy

Just to add that there's always a couple of adults supervising the kids and they have wet suits on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the replies.

Travelling alone. Intending to shoot still photos and maybe some video. So, emphasis will be on that and food! :)

Will be staying clear of Ennis. No interest.

Thanks again.

D.

Carrigaholt and loop head perfect for that. Very scenic. If you based yourself in Lahinch or somewhere you could do the cliffs in the morning and Carrigaholt in the afternoon and still have your evening free. I think it's 45mins to and hour from Lahinch to Carrig :)

I really can't say enough good things about it lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Morrissey’s (Doonbeg), Vaughan’s Anchor Inn (Liscannor), Wild Honey Inn (Lisdoonvarna) and Linnane’s Lobster Bar (New Quay) all made the Michelin ‘Eating Out in Pubs’ Guide for 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Just two more I'd add to the previous recommendations. "The Long Dock" in Carrigaholt or if Morrissey's in Doonbeg is busy try Tubridy's down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

What are you looking to shoot? that could very well determine where you go and stay if you only are doing 2 days. If you are in Ennis, I suggest the Cloister and the poet's corner for food, the Ennis gourmet store is a great little place for some wine and something to eat if you are not looking for a Diner . Although they could be quite busy this week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lets see, if you want to go to the East you have some great shooting opportunities with the Shannon, Lough Derg and Ardnacrusha, with the free tour in Ardnacrusha I'd recommend that. If you want to go up north from there there's some great old castles/churches around the Feakle area. Then over to the west you'll have the Burren with amazing scenery, you'll have the coast with both it ruggedness as well as all the people, then further down the coast you'll have Kilkee/Carrigaholt which has some amazing views. Then back along the estuary there's some great places to stop, I'd recommend the old Cahercohn school if you want to get some good shots. Then you have Ennis, Shannon and Bunratty.

Advertisement