Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOCA Network with Virgin

Options
  • 13-08-2017 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I wonder if any of you know about MOCA adapters and whether they can be used in Ireland with Virgin Media. I live in a block of flats and we have UPC/Virgin coax cables in 3 rooms. Our UPC Horizon TV box connects to one input, our Virgin (well, our old UPC) modem/router connects into another (via coax as we have no ethernet ports), leaving one completely free.
    So, my thoughts are, can I install a pair of the Actiontec MOCA Bonded adapters and therefore have a wired connection at the free coax input?

The reason I'm struggling with figuring out whether this will work, is that all of the diagrams about connecting the Actiontec and MOCA in general, seem to have the first MOCA attached to the coax and then the router/modem attached to the MOCA via ethernet cable....and my modem/router is a coax cable input only.... so, do I buy the bonded pair and go:
    coax->actiontec (via coax on each end)
    actiontec->router/modem (also via coax on each end).

I hope the question makes sense and sorry I can't add any links to the products (newbie, and not yet allowed)....

Really interested to know if anyone in Ireland with VM cable has set up MOCA successfully.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MOCA isnt very popular so I cant say for sure off hand but I'd guess that it cant Coexist with DOCSIS from the head end.

The cables in your apartment would be common to each other so you'd have to be able to disconnect both ends of the cable that you wanted to use for the "extension". It sounds like you only have three runs from the splitter wherever it is, so this isn't the solution for you.

Any reason to not use Homeplugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DexDubs

Thanks for your response Ed, I see. Yep, it is a splitter.

As for powerline adapters, I have a pretty stupid reason for not using them. The only power source I have next to the Modem/router is so close to the UPC point that I can't get anything but a standard plug into it. I had previously looked at the TP Links with the ethernet ports (I do want wired, rather than just wifi), but they are too large (the bulk of them seem to stick upwards from the plug and that's where I have no space)....

Second to that, I've heard some people say they are unreliable in terms of speed, but maybe I ought to look into that a bit more.

Can powerline adapters be used with extension leads? Or will that just degrade the speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

DexDubs wrote: »
    Thanks for your response Ed, I see. Yep, it is a splitter.

As for powerline adapters, I have a pretty stupid reason for not using them. The only power source I have next to the Modem/router is so close to the UPC point that I can't get anything but a standard plug into it. I had previously looked at the TP Links with the ethernet ports (I do want wired, rather than just wifi), but they are too large (the bulk of them seem to stick upwards from the plug and that's where I have no space)....

Second to that, I've heard some people say they are unreliable in terms of speed, but maybe I ought to look into that a bit more.

Can powerline adapters be used with extension leads? Or will that just degrade the speed?

Yes ....... plain old extension leads are fine. If the extension has surge protection and such 'fancy' things then the throughput can be affected.

The speed attained will be affected by the wiring ..... by how much only testing can determine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I use HPs in my current place, 140 solid. Not everyone is so lucky but eir deploy them for IPTV so the odds are in your favour.

If I were you id use a single extender(short) then a passthrough homeplug, then an extension lead with 4+ sockets after it for TV etc. Gives the best opportunity for decent Tput.

Ideally purchase 1000Mb ones and expect between 100 and 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DexDubs

Thanks for the advice all !

• Advertisement
Advertisement