Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to turn off hot water

Options
  • 13-08-2017 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi

The mixer tap in my kitchen is dripping. I've turned off the cold water supply and cleaned the ceramic valve but the drip hasn't stopped so I assume I need to do the same on the hot side.

I just don't know how to turn off the hot supply before I do this!

Attached is a pic of the hot water cylinder. Can anyone tell me what I need to do please? I'm hoping it's as simple as closing that red gate valve but want to be sure!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

The red gate valve in your photo seems to be for the heating coil, not the water shut off.

Is there a valve somewhere on the pipe going into the cylinder directly below the electric immersion?

A few more photos of all the hotpress might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Tom44 wrote: »
    The red gate valve in your photo seems to be for the heating coil, not the water shut off.

Is there a valve somewhere on the pipe going into the cylinder directly below the electric immersion?

A few more photos of all the hotpress might help.

Thanks. Here's another pic that I think covers the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

nialldinho wrote: »
    Thanks. Here's another pic that I think covers the rest.

The red lever valve on the left

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Thank you! Will try that later

Thanks, that did the job!

Tap is still dripping after cleaning up the ceramic valve. I'll try replacing them next. Is it normal to need to replace them? Kitchen was only fitted 3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

nialldinho wrote: »
    Thanks, that did the job!

Tap is still dripping after cleaning up the ceramic valve. I'll try replacing them next. Is it normal to need to replace them? Kitchen was only fitted 3 years ago.

Ceramic valve? Do you mean the 1/4 turn spindle? If so then there's no fixing them. Buy a pair but be sure they fit your tap head. It's a massive flaw with these stupid spindles. They should be universal but no, I've often come across spindles not matching tap heads

Ceramic valve? Do you mean the 1/4 turn spindle? If so then there's no fixing them. Buy a pair but be sure they fit your tap head. It's a massive flaw with these stupid spindles. They should be universal but no, I've often come across spindles not matching tap heads

Yes, sorry that's what I meant - too much googling I think! I'll just bring one with me when getting them to be sure.

Thanks again!

Advertisement