Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea vegetables and iodine...

Options
  • 13-08-2017 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Do any of the major chain supermarkets generally sell sea veg? or even health shops? looking to go more plant based and looking to get enough iodine in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Supermarkets usually sell seaweed for making sushi - in the same place as other sushi ingredients. They frequently sell other types of seaweed as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You can get seaweed flakes in health shops, use them like salt. Nori for sushi like was said above. As I don't want to eat these every day I take an iodine supplement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh btw nearly a years supply is like 6 euro https://ie.iherb.com/pr/Country-Life-Artic-Kelp-225-mcg-300-Tablets/17472

You can also get salt with iodine in it but it's not common in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

I buy dulse flakes (off iherb and Amazon) and sprinkle it on rice/quinoa etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Fallon and Byrne have a good range of dried seaweeds, at a reasonable enough price. A few different brands, too. I've also picked up some seaweed in health shops too in dried rather than powdered form.

I've been experimenting with sea veg recently and it's been surprisingly tasty! (After trying dried spirulina previously, I was skeptical to say the least. :D)

I picked up a book by Sally McKenna that's got some great recipes in it. If you're interested, here it is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Extreme-Greens-Understanding-Seaweeds-Sally-McKenna/1906927197

• Advertisement
Advertisement