Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build

Options
  • 12-08-2017 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

When hiring architect whats process involve is first meeting free of charge or is there fee for first meeting to discuss property etc . Typically what would cost be from start finish I unxerstand it will depend on size house how quick planning is grated and problems tbat may aris e with builders tradesmen etc . Just ball park figure if possible

Can anyone reccomend architect for Laois / abbeyleix area?.

Thanks innadvance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

crf450 wrote: »
    When hiring architect whats process involve is first meeting free of charge or is there fee for first meeting to discuss property etc.
    There's no rules. But I'd imagine essentially all at architects or similar professionals would meet with you and discuss the project free of charge. Shortly after they should give you a fee proposal.

Typically what would cost be from start finish I unxerstand it will depend on size house how quick planning is grated and problems tbat may aris e with builders tradesmen etc . Just ball park figure if possible,
    If depends. You haven't even said what you are building.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭crf450

Mellor wrote: »
    There's no rules. But I'd imagine essentially all at architects or similar professionals would meet with you and discuss the project free of charge. Shortly after they should give you a fee proposal.

If depends. You haven't even said what you are building.

Hi Mellor, thanks for reply much appreciated, Im hoping to build 2 story house on 1 acre site with garage. I was talking to one architect and and they required a fee to drive to site to have quick chat and see site . I was trades man electrican and when going to view a job I never charged people for initial chat about whats involved and view job. To me not good first impression looking for money just to chat about potential build

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Most may not charge but I don't think it's wrong to ask for a small fee for investing time in going to site to assess and give a fair idea of what a fee might be. Some may use it as a means to make people feel like the have made a commitment of sorts, subconsciously, and that it might convert those proposals into work. Or it might put off tyre-kickers. Or they may be busy and well sought after and the time invested in a quality proposal has a value.

That said, i would imagine charging is done by a minority but I don't think its beyond the pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

crf450 wrote: »
    Hi Mellor, thanks for reply much appreciated, Im hoping to build 2 story house on 1 acre site with garage. I was talking to one architect and and they required a fee to drive to site to have quick chat and see site . I was trades man electrican and when going to view a job I never charged people for initial chat about whats involved and view job. To me not good first impression looking for money just to chat about potential build
    If you never charged people for inspecting work. And sometimes you inspect work that never turned into a job. Over a given period you have a certain amount of unbillable time spent working - that recouped in your billable time.

The approach above is just spreading it out. Saves him having to increase his hourly rate to recoup unbillable time.
    If it was a job he really wanted and not just a money earner, he'd be there for free and write off the time. If paying for a consult bothers you find somebody that will do it for free. Should be loads around

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭crf450

Mellor wrote: »
    If you never charged people for inspecting work. And sometimes you inspect work that never turned into a job. Over a given period you have a certain amount of unbillable time spent working - that recouped in your billable time.

The approach above is just spreading it out. Saves him having to increase his hourly rate to recoup unbillable time.
    If it was a job he really wanted and not just a money earner, he'd be there for free and write off the time. If paying for a consult bothers you find somebody that will do it for free. Should be loads around

Im not so much bother about paying if the person is worth money. it just when I spoke to somne straight away it was about cost of travel without asking about what I was looking for kind of gave me bad feel straight. Maybe im to suspicouos and hard on him but thats impression i got.

Very valid points you made . Thanks again info much appreciated,

• Advertisement
Advertisement