Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houttuynia - why are garden centres still selling this?

Options
  • 12-08-2017 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I noticed Houttuynia cordata for sale in two garden centres in the last two weeks. This is a plant I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I would have thought that its invasiveness would be well-enough known that no self-respecting garden centre would stock it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I totally agree with you and have had words with a couple of places still selling this pest and got the verbal equivalent of shrugged shoulders, seems they don'y give a ****, and while I'm ranting I am fed up seeing virused hostas for sale everywhere.

Thanks for this post!

My wife purchased some early this summer and placed it into her flower garden. I'd never heard of its invasive growing before. Its getting dug out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I got some of this but put it in its own container. I presume I am safe from it spreading everywhere? I really like the red colouration on the leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

I've had this buried in a pot for eight years or more without problem.

The problem isn't about garden centres selling it, it's not providing the correct information for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

A place for everything and everything in its place. It did a grand job for me for years, adding colour and ground cover to a strip between two semi-d's where nothing else would grow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement