Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan going crazy on desktop computer.

Options
  • 12-08-2017 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, one of the fans on my friend's desktop is going into overdrive. It's not the power supply fan, it's the fan on the bottom, blowing air outwards. CPU fan I guess?

I'm just on the windows desktop (ie. nothing intensive going on) and the fan is constantly at 100% power. Very noisy. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

Thanks

By the way, I checked for dust and hair. All clear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Did you check inside or just the outside?

And air ducts towards the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Processor is over heating.
    Reapply some thermal paste and clean out heat sync with canned air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Did you check inside or just the outside?

And air ducts towards the front?

Haven't checked inside - will open her up now.

Airducts are out the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sometimes in machines the case fan is linked to the CPU temperature, so while a full throttle or high speed CPU fan is loud, a case fan running at full whack is something else altogether.

Probably just needs to remove cooler, clean off whats left of thermal paste on CPU/cooler, and reapply fresh stuff - case fan should settle down then. This probably really only applies if its a Dell/HP/etc.

Attached a pic of the dust after opening it up. Pretty bad. I'll get a can of compressed air.

Is reapplying thermal paste an easy job?

• Advertisement

Oops. Forgot to attach the picture

Oops. Forgot to attach the picture

Here's the photo:

Sorry about the triple posts. Each time I tried to attach the pic it got rejected as the image was too large. It looks like Boards.ie rejects the photo but still posts the text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Never mind compressed air in a can, vacuum cleaner on a low setting will have that crud gone in no time, just be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Get rid of as much dust as you can and before attempting to re-apply thermal paste, download CPU-Z utility to check cpu temps.

• Advertisement

Hi folks, I'm back. So while I was cleaning out the dust I noticed there's a huge crack in the side of the heatsink fan. It wasn't connecting properly with the CPU which is why the fan speed was crazy. The fan is toast, need to buy a new one.

I know it's a 4 pin cpu fan I need, and the cpu is the Intel Q8300. I had a google and came up with the below item. But the screws look a bit odd. My current fan has metal screwss on a spring that screw directly into the motherboard. This one has some sort of plastic clip:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Quad-Core-Q8000-Heatsink-CPU-Cooler-Fan-for-Q8200-Q8200S-Q8300-LGA775-New-/400779726392

You can have a look at the picture I posted a couple of posts up to see the type of fan I have.

Any ideas what I should buy in the €20 or less range? It doesn't have to be fancy, won't be using it for gaming or anything. It's for my mother and the most CPU intensive thing she'll do is check the lotto numbers on lotto.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That cpu has been redundant for a very long time. You'd be lucky to find any cooling accessories regardless of budget now. Just check the socket on the cooler matches the socket on the CPU. I think I recall Intel changing sockets around the time that cpu was released, or at least not too long after.

That cpu has been redundant for a very long time. You'd be lucky to find any cooling accessories regardless of budget now. Just check the socket on the cooler matches the socket on the CPU. I think I recall Intel changing sockets around the time that cpu was released, or at least not too long after.

Thanks. And how do I check the socket on the cooler and CPU? *n00b mode activated* Do you mean the 4 pin cable?

bonzodog2 wrote: »

Thanks Bonzodog. That looks like it'll fit.

I was looking at a few others and all new/unused fans these days don't have screws, they have little plastic tips that you push into the motherboard. Do they work on screw in holes too? I'd prefer to get new as they all come with thermal paste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd probably just get the 2nd hand one that's from the same machine.

You can use any S775 cooler but you'd have to remove the motherboard from the PC first - that screw in design is basically a plate stuck to the back of the motherboard that the cooler screws into, whereas the standard push-pin design just pushes the pins through the empty holes.

You would have to pry off that backplate before you could use a standard cooler.

Advertisement