Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - how to get a high grade in maths?

Options
  • 12-08-2017 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I'm going into 5th year in September, I did quite a good junior cert (8As, 3 Bs at HL - I am motivated), but the subject that I just struggle so much with is maths, I have no idea how I managed to pull a B.

I guess my issue is that in my opinion, I'm not that logically/mathematically minded, does anyone have any tips or anything that can help me for next year? I know I'm a bit early but I'm already fairly worried about eventually having to drop to pass (which there is no shame in but the course I want to do is at the 560 mark so I need all the points I can get), if anyone can provide me with any insight at all it would be extremely appreciated 😊

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭padraigmck

Exam questions, exam questions and more exam questions.
    Maths is all about practising and doing, it's also important to understand the concept before attempting questions. So if you have a question don't be afraid to ask your teacher!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why not leave Maths out of the subjects you are counting?
    Not everyone can get an A in HL Maths, since it is concept based, not learned off. If you don't find it coming easily to you, you'd be far better just getting what grade you need in Maths and concentrating on other subjects for your points.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Did you spend TY not doing maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 thereisacar

spurious wrote: »
    Why not leave Maths out of the subjects you are counting?
    Not everyone can get an A in HL Maths, since it is concept based, not learned off. If you don't find it coming easily to you, you'd be far better just getting what grade you need in Maths and concentrating on other subjects for your points.

Thanks a lot for your response, are you sure it'd definitely be worth focusing on the other 6? It's just that maths can be worth 125 points and I'd have very little room for error for all of the exams if I have a bad day without that extra 25 but I'd have more room for error if I had those extra 25 points from maths? Just wondering what your thoughts would be

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks a lot for your response, are you sure it'd definitely be worth focusing on the other 6? It's just that maths can be worth 125 points and I'd have very little room for error for all of the exams if I have a bad day without that extra 25 but I'd have more room for error if I had those extra 25 points from maths? Just wondering what your thoughts would be

Of course I have no idea what your potential in Maths is (ther than a B which surprised you at JC), but it can be very frustrating if you are not 'getting' it, regardless of extra points. There are some subjects where the same level of work would pay off much better, but it's up to you. It depends how things go. The main thing is to be able to recognise when it's not working.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

It's also worth pointing out that the 25 extra points might not even be 25 if you don't get a particularly high grade. I'm like you -- got a B in the JC somehow, never really 'got it' at LC level and tended to let it fall by the wayside out of frustration, but still managed a HC3 in the end. Thing is while I did count it, that was 85 points, so the equivalent of a B1... but my other lowest was a B3, so my net gain was 10 points. Not sure it was worth it! By all means give it a try, but even if you were, say, 10 points short in the end, it's not like you definitely missed 25 by not taking HL maths, if that makes sense.

Advertisement