Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help Understanding

Options
  • 11-08-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Ok. Im 38 years of age..looking to buy my 1st bike. What licence should i be doing?
    Going ro apply for my 1st provisional licence before rhe year ends. Once i have the licence.

Can i just go buy any bike and apply for the A licence? After training etc.

Or do i have to buy a bike which is restricted bike and do A2 licence first?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Mid life crisis?

You can go for the full A licence now, no restrictions.
    You need to complete IBT before going out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Committing? Or for fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Do the A license. Literally no reason not to.

Also, if an IBT instructor tells you you should do A2 first and then progress, go find another instructor. A lot of them are doing this now as it's more work/$$$ for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

get provisional A, do IBT, ride around on your bike which you are able to get insurance on, do full test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Thanks to all who replied. Yes its probably a mid life crisis. However No kids,No commitments etc..always wanted a bike so why not. Sick of paying mad car tax too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

Go for it! What type of bike are you going to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

im not much younger than you and got one last year, get your provisional, and do ibt. I havnt looked back since I got mine and am loving every minute on it. Get some miles up and do the test. Depending on what kind of bikes you like there are a few good options for starting off, fazer, hornet, bandit are all very popular starters, personally can highly recommend the Sv650s. The engine breaking just inspires confidence and felt more solid than the hornet I rode during some lessons. make sure to price round all the insurance companies, in my case I played carol nash off against principle and got a cracking deal
    good luck and enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

cadete wrote: »
    im not much younger than you and got one last year, get your provisional, and do ibt. I havnt looked back since I got mine and am loving every minute on it. Get some miles up and do the test. Depending on what kind of bikes you like there are a few good options for starting off, fazer, hornet, bandit are all very popular starters, personally can highly recommend the Sv650s. The engine breaking just inspires confidence and felt more solid than the hornet I rode during some lessons. make sure to price round all the insurance companies, in my case I played carol nash off against principle and got a cracking deal
    good luck and enjoy

Question about the theory test..is there a seperate handbook for the car and bike or should i just revise using rhe car booklet?

Im looking at th v-strom bike 650cc. I like the look of that rising position. Other option is the kawasaki 650z? I think. Thanks for the replies..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Question about the theory test..is there a seperate handbook for the car and bike or should i just revise using rhe car booklet?

Pretty sure the car and bike are the same theory test, i used a phone app and a web app to revise, google should bring up the best of those or someone here/motors section will know,

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

There's a separate theory test for bike these days. Half the questions are about rules of the road, other half is bike specific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 stokesdiva

I done the theory test for the bike 2yrs ago but when I went to get my license I was told that since I done the theory test for the car 9yrs ago that I didn't have to do it for bike. I was handed back my cert and told hang it on the wall. No one told me this at centre they where happy enough to take my money. So enquire about the theory test before departing with you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Krismass

Hi there if u did ur learner permit for the car, years ago in Ireland you might already have ur bike learner permit, drop into your local NDLS, I drop into one to enquire about a bike licence and they told me I had it done years ago lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

stokesdiva wrote: »
    I done the theory test for the bike 2yrs ago but when I went to get my license I was told that since I done the theory test for the car 9yrs ago that I didn't have to do it for bike. I was handed back my cert and told hang it on the wall. No one told me this at centre they where happy enough to take my money. So enquire about the theory test before departing with you money.

Between 2001 and 2006, it was the same theory test for bikes and cars meaning that if you took out a provisional for the car and passed the test at the time, the theory test would still be valid today to use for the bike permit. If this broadly describes you circumstances, then definitely call the NDLS - you will ask them if you have a vaild "TYPE ONE" theory test on file.

Advertisement