Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to unlock a broadband mobile modem without network request?

Options
  • 11-08-2017 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

I bought a second Meteor boradband modem two weeks ago but now wish to move to using the three network for better value, however the modem is locked to the Meteor network and cannot accept other sim cards.

I requested an unlock code form Meteor but they won`t give it to me until I spend over 120 euros on the new pre pay sim card I have which I obviously do not want to do given I`ve only spent 30 euros with them so far.

Is there any other way to unlock the modem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭niallb

Impossible to tell without knowing the model number.
    I'm general though, particularly for Huawei modems, it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

I usually get the unlock codes on eBay - just make sure you've the model number and the current network correct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I've used https://www.dc-unlocker.com/ over the years without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Amalgam wrote: »
    I've used https://www.dc-unlocker.com/ over the years without any issues.

How exactly does this work? Do I have to download a client unlocker software or just obtain a code directly from the website?

I see the website has models of dongle routers listed but no link that leads to any instructions or unlock codes with them!

Download and install client software.

Plug in and make sure the client software can see your dongle.

Create an account on the site

Find out how many 'credits' are needed to unlock your particular dongle.

Purchase credits and input your account details into client software.

Press unlock.

---

Just to say, if you get this unlocked in a shop in Dublin or similar, it is quite likely DC-Unlocker they are using to do it with, as DC-Unlocker sell a very popular hardware dongle for individuals/shops to mass unlock dongles with.

---

I've had issues with DC-Unlocker detecting dongles under Windows 10. Just a heads up.

Your mileage may vary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Amalgam wrote: »
    Download and install client software.

Plug in and make sure the client software can see your dongle.

Create an account on the site

Find out how many 'credits' are needed to unlock your particular dongle.

Purchase credits and input your account details into client software.

Press unlock.

---

Just to say, if you get this unlocked in a shop in Dublin or similar, it is quite likely DC-Unlocker they are using to do it with, as DC-Unlocker sell a very popular hardware dongle for individuals/shops to mass unlock dongles with.

---

I've had issues with DC-Unlocker detecting dongles under Windows 10. Just a heads up.

Your mileage may vary.

Really appreciate your help thanks, I haven`t been through this process before so just two questions:

1. My mobile broadband model is: HUAWEI E5577C`s - 321. I do not see this model number listed under the HAWEI listings within the "supported models" tab of the DC Unlocker website. Does this mean it`s not possible to unlock? I have no idea how old the device itself is as I bought it second hand two weeks ago but I know it is a 4G device and I wouldn`t suspect its much more than a year old maxamium.

2. The client software won`t recognize my mobile broadband device as I need to run the device in "adminstrator" mode first....How do I do this?

Thanks again..

They have solutions that involve writing a new firmware, there's a reason I'm not linking to the page.. it is.. fiddly.

I just listed DC-Unlocker as an option.

Have you thought about purchasing a fully, never locked modem/router/dongle. They are cheap, scour eBay.

I gave up unlocking branded dongles for my own use once the price got so low that an extended crawl of eBay and similar would get me the same dongle from abroad, with a clean firmware, unbranded casing and never locked.

Advertisement