Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom window is transparent!

Options
  • 11-08-2017 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

The bathroom window looks opaque from the inside but from the outside, it's completely transparent. I can even see the veins on the leaves of the house plant during the day.

We don't want to replace the entire window and it's a large window so what are the options? The wall is all tiled so blinds would be tricky.

Has anyone used contact for a job like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

:eek: Careful when the window cleaner is about :eek:

I have seen contact used but it needs to be well stuck on as a bathroom as you know gets warm and moist. If you put up a blind its only four little holes to attach it to the tiled walls. And it would look nicer than contact. Or you could bite the bullet and replace the glass - it may not be as expensive as you think especially if you are considering remedial work that might not look good.

However, I cannot understand how the glass can be opaque from the inside and transparent from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I did this and used contact on the outside, though it was in a very sheltered place. But it is cheap. There is not a lot to lose here.

Is it a double glazing module? Maybe it could be taken out and turned around? I don't think it will help really but it is worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Another option would be to spray the window:

https://www.lenehans.ie/frost-glass-spray-400ml.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You could put up a net curtain, you could hold it in place with stick on hooks. They should hold perfectly on your tiles and the weight wouldn't be too much.

Look at 3m products (I think) on Amazon. They're super adhesive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are you sure it's not visible for objects on the sill but objects further into the room are obscured which is generally how bathroom windows work.

I don't see anything obnormal it sounds like typical mottled glass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,423 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

listermint wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not visible for objects on the sill but objects further into the room are obscured which is generally how bathroom windows work.

I don't see anything obnormal it sounds like typical mottled glass

I have to really agree with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

You can see people clearly through the glass - from walking in the door to getting in the bath! that's the main problem. The previous owner may not have noticed ad he lived by himself.

A blind sounds like the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

You can get spring loaded poles that don't need any hooks to hold light weight fabric. You buy one slightly longer than the window,pop on the curtain and just fit it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

fineso.mom wrote: »
    You can get spring loaded poles that don't need any hooks to hold light weight fabric. You buy one slightly longer than the window,pop on the curtain and just fit it in.

They're called tension rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

sticky contact paper perfectly fine. Easy to put on easy to take off. and cheap. 1 euro v whatever cost it takes to get it changed to frosty glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I bought Rabbit Goo contact film lately, and it works very well. (In my case it wasn't for a bathroom window)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M0Q14PS?m=A1WMN1VBS875MG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

testicles wrote: »

Ha, that sounds right. Are you a builder or just a lateral thinker?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

testicles wrote: »

I never even thought of that as a possibility, but that seems to be the case.

Thanks all for replies.

Advertisement