Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF youtube?

Options
  • 11-08-2017 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

Got notification of a few updates on my old android phone. Youtube informs me that it wants access to the phones contacts, location, SMS, microphone, device id and call information.
    It already has access to photos and camera among other things? WTF? I use youtube to watch silly/informative videos. Unless your a contributor to youtube, it should be one way traffic in terms of data. Why does it need access to all this other ****? I'm not overly paranoid over the whole "big brothers watching thing" but something likes this sets little alarm bells ringing in my head. Honestly it all probably data mining relatively harmless info that can be used in marketing/sales algorithms used to convince people to buy ****e they don't need.... BUT its my useless info and I don't want them to have it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I love how you think apps only have access to what they say the have!!!!

Must be all he internet laws keeping them at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Nabber wrote: »

Agreed but they're blatantly asking the consumer to allow access to systems they have no right or need to access. Why would youtube ever need access to contacts of a contributor never mind a non contributor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

Without getting into an apple Vs android debate/row. This is why I like apple. Apps don't get those permissions. And any they do get are reminded of every couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

fizzypish wrote: »
    Got notification of a few updates on my old android phone. Youtube informs me that it wants access to the phones contacts, location, SMS, microphone, device id and call information.
    It already has access to photos and camera among other things? WTF? I use youtube to watch silly/informative videos. Unless your a contributor to youtube, it should be one way traffic in terms of data. Why does it need access to all this other ****? I'm not overly paranoid over the whole "big brothers watching thing" but something likes this sets little alarm bells ringing in my head. Honestly it all probably data mining relatively harmless info that can be used in marketing/sales algorithms used to convince people to buy ****e they don't need.... BUT its my useless info and I don't want them to have it.

On Android you can disable all these things.
    It asks for Phone to access your call signal so it can send you a verification text, same with Contacts and SMS.
    Microphone and camera is asked for you in case you set up a Live video and want to broadcast to you Youtube.

-All- apps do similar, even the stock Phone App technically does it.
    Nabber wrote: »

Apps do only have access to what they're asking for. Possible exceptions would be downloading an app from an untrusted source.
    OU812 wrote: »
    Without getting into an apple Vs android debate/row. This is why I like apple. Apps don't get those permissions. And any they do get are reminded of every couple of weeks.

Somewhat incorrect. Apple simply doesn't notify you that these apps request the permissions. Apple works on a basis of 'review' so any App on the App store is deemed as safe and won't try to steal your information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Well, they are owned by google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Well, they are owned by google.

Yahoo does it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.search

All apps ask for permissions like this or similar, if you don't believe me and you have an iPhone read this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/211623/how-to-manage-app-permissions-on-your-iphone-or-ipad/

Advertisement