Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Berlin Defence

• 10-08-2017 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

Anybody now thinking of picking this up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Now thinking of it? Has there been a recent impetuous to do so, or am I reading too much into your turn of phrase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

Was thinking of Philip Short now playing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Ah! I didn't have time to follow the Irish this year. I guess if Kramnik can use it to win a championship and cause a surge in its popularity, Short can do the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Joedryan wrote: »

It would suit your style of play very well. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:eek:

sodacat11 wrote: »

It would suit your style of play very well. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:eek:

Is it boring really? Or just amateurs that think so? 
    Nice start by Chelsea btw ;)

• Advertisement

Is it boring really? Or just amateurs that think so? 
    Nice start by Chelsea btw ;)

The Berlin can lead to interesting positions, it has become boring because it is seen so often and analysed so deeply.
    There is some excuse for Black playing dull openings,less so for White.

As for Chelsea, I blame the ref. Those decisions would never go against Man U at Old Trafford in a million years. There was no intent in the Cahill tackle, just clumsy and impetuous and he didn't even catch the guy's leg.
    The Morata "offside". The ball was undoubtedly going into the net with or without Morata so how did he "interfere with play"? The match was typified near the end when the Burnley centre forward fouled Luiz and the free kick was given to Burnley.

The ref eh?
    Man Utd 4 - West Ham 0, thats the way to do it, new signings look awesome.
    Back on topic a little - in the Berlin the line the kid played against Philip with Bf1 is very annoying. There are also some other practically forced draw options for White, so maybe this is why the opening has never picked up as much at the amateur level.

The ref eh?
    Man Utd 4 - West Ham 0, thats the way to do it, new signings look awesome.
    Back on topic a little - in the Berlin the line the kid played against Philip with Bf1 is very annoying. There are also some other practically forced draw options for White, so maybe this is why the opening has never picked up as much at the amateur level.

I don't know anything about Bf1 but Jose will win you a title or two, then, like me and everyone else, you will get tired of his negativity, the equivalent of playing the Exchange French, the Scotch 4 Knights , the London system, the c3 Sicilian and the Berlin, his constant whinging and his over inflated ego (no comparison to any current Irish chess player intended) and yearn for a new manager.

One large Rook Pawn that I have always hated is Wayne Rooney but seeing him yesterday back at Everton, his first love, and knowing that he wears their pyjamas I can't help developing a soft spot for the guy. I incidentally have Blue Chelsea PJs but the top half is yellow and on it is printed "because I'm a chess player , that's why" . Don't ask me what it means, it was a very nice gift from my g/f:D

I don't know anything about Bf1 but Jose will win you a title or two, then, like me and everyone else, you will get tired of his negativity, the equivalent of playing the Exchange French, the Scotch 4 Knights , the London system, the c3 Sicilian and the Berlin, his constant whinging and his over inflated ego (no comparison to any current Irish chess player intended) and yearn for a new manager.

One large Rook Pawn that I have always hated is Wayne Rooney but seeing him yesterday back at Everton, his first love, and knowing that he wears their pyjamas I can't help developing a soft spot for the guy. I incidentally have Blue Chelsea PJs but the top half is yellow and on it is printed "because I'm a chess player , that's why" . Don't ask me what it means, it was a very nice gift from my g/f:D

So Jose Mourhinho is the equivalent of a boring chess player? like who - Kramnik? Leko?
    No comment on the pyjamas btw, too much information.
    Football managers v Chess Players, maybe we have a new topic.......

It was Mourinho's whinging and super inflated ego that prompted me to write the disclaimer.

Kramnik certainly isn't boring, maybe Lalic, Giri, and anyone else who offers a draw with their introductory handshakes.

• Advertisement

Any famous footballer chessplayers ? The only ones I know are Simon Agdestein and Edgar Davids. It would be fun to have a chess tournament for managers. Mourinho, Wenger, Conte, Guardiola, Pochettino Klopp Koeman and Bilic for instance. I'm only guessing but Bilic would be my bet, or maybe Koeman.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Denis Irwin too, though I think his Community Games game wasn't actually any good. (Not that many of the rest of us played brilliant stuff at that age of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

just wandered into this thread.

Have I or Boards.ie gone mad? Chess playing football managers?

Hard to be sure who's gone mad; I could make a guess, but there's a 50/50 chance you'd find it offensive. :)

Though you could be excused for not having heard of Simen Agdestein, a Norwegian chess Grandmaster with89 caps and 1 goal for the national football team.

cdeb wrote: »
    Denis Irwin too, though I think his Community Games game wasn't actually any good. (Not that many of the rest of us played brilliant stuff at that age of course)
    you played Denis Irwin??

nuac wrote: »
    just wandered into this thread.

Have I or Boards.ie gone mad? Chess playing football managers?

I just Googled chess playing footballers and apparently Eric Cantona and Sol Campbell are keen players.

I seem to recall Irwin saying Cantona enjoyed a game, but was rubbish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I just Googled chess playing footballers and apparently Eric Cantona and Sol Campbell are keen players.

Is Cantona the guy who kicked a spectator at a match?

If he is playing chess anywhere it would be wise not to crowd him

Makes sense, football is quite close to chess.
    Although snooker is still the closest sport to chess that I can think of. Suppose boxing might be up there too.

Is there any snooker chess players other than Steve Davis?

Can't imagine the likes of Alex Higgins or Bill Werbeniuk enjoying a quiet game somehow.

Though I did have Dennis Taylor sat opposite me on the train down to Bunratty one year; I don't know if that counts for anything.

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    Is there any snooker chess players other than Steve Davis?

Can't imagine the likes of Alex Higgins or Bill Werbeniuk enjoying a quiet game somehow.

Though I did have Dennis Taylor sat opposite me on the train down to Bunratty one year; I don't know if that counts for anything.
    Cannot think of any. But I actually think Alex Higgins probably had the ideal mentality for chess.

Makes sense, football is quite close to chess.
    Although snooker is still the closest sport to chess that I can think of. Suppose boxing might be up there too.
    Cricket has got to be the closest sport to chess. A board game I love is RISK, a bit like chess too.

So, eh, veering back on topic,  what about the Berlin? Apart from Philip nobody else picked it up?

Advertisement