Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it like to fly for the Irish Air Corps?

Options
  • 10-08-2017 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello, I have been interested in getting a pilot license for a long time. I'm finishing up the leaving cert next year and I think I will try to get a bachelor in aerospace engineering first and then join the air corps. I have a few questions which I could not find answers to online.

1. How does one apply to be a pilot for the air corps?
    2. What advantage, if any, would I have by going in the air corps with an aerospace degree?
    3. How often does a pilot for the air corps fly(e.g. once a week, month etc)?
    4. How often is a pilot deployed in another country?
    5. Are pilots trained to use hand guns, rifles etc?

And finally, I know when you complete training with a certain aircraft you cant fly any plane. But if i completed training with the Pilatus PC-9M is there other planes i would be able to fly? I assume i cant buy a pilatus and fly it as a civilian, so would i have to get trained all over again in a new aircraft like the cesna, or do i get a PPL license on completion of the air corps flight training? Thanks for any help. :)

EDIT: Also I was wondering is it legal for a civilian pilot to purchase a military jet (F16 for example) without the weapons and fly it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

You say in a previous post that you dont want to join the Army. The Air Corps is a service branch of the Defence Forces so by its very nature it is a military environment.

Unless you manage to talk to an Air Corps pilot first hand you will not be able to get an accurate insight and you will likely read a lot of conjecture and agenda driven posts online, boards.ie included.

The vast majority of your questions can be answered by going to military.ie including testimonials for pilots and cadets.

Military pilots fly significantly less than civilian airline pilots. So if you want to specifically be a pilot and fly for a living, go down the civilian route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

In answer to your question no.5. As a Cadet you will receive full military basic training, which includes training on all light weapons issued to the Defence Forces.

A Cadetship is a full on 18 month military training course, which is not for the faint hearted. You need to be physically fit to a very high degree and use to running at least 10k to 15k a day. You will also need a seriously good set of Leaving Cert results to be even considered. Along with a very good interview with you outlining exactly why you wish to become an Officer in the Aer Corps and not just simply a Pilot!
    The way they look at it is that they want someone who is prepared to commit to at least 12 if not 21 years of service and not someone who will "buy their way out" as soon as they "get their wings"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    In answer to your question no.5. As a Cadet you will receive full military basic training, which includes training on all light weapons issued to the Defence Forces.

A Cadetship is a full on 18 month military training course, which is not for the faint hearted. You need to be physically fit to a very high degree and use to running at least 10k to 15k a day. You will also need a seriously good set of Leaving Cert results to be even considered. Along with a very good interview with you outlining exactly why you wish to become an Officer in the Aer Corps and not just simply a Pilot!
    The way they look at it is that they want someone who is prepared to commit to at least 12 if not 21 years of service and not someone who will "buy their way out" as soon as they "get their wings"!

An Air Corps Cadetship is on average a minimum of 2-3 years long depending on the class size amongst other factors.

Basic military training is 9 months in the DFTC, followed by 6 months of ATPL groundschool and then approximately 150-200 hours of flight in the PC-9M.

The education requirements are a minimum standard and the bar is set at a very achievable level to be honest. It depends on what you would qualify as excellent results. In any event, leaving cert results are a pass/fail entry requirement and have no bearing really.

Having a level 8 degree will be beneficial after commissioning due to the graduate/non graduate entry process. I believe the bonus marks for having a degree were removed in recent years, and rightly so.

Minimum service obligation is 12 years from commissioning, not enlistment, and new entrants will have to complete 30 years service to receive a full pension.

AC pilots dont "buy their way out" as it would likely be in the region of hundreds of thousands of euro, particularly if done at an early stage. No media reports, of which there has been many recently reference anyone buying their way out, so it seems like its a non runner in reality.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

A new poster asks about obtaining a 'sniper rifles' in one forum. Then asks about flying an F-16 as a civilian and/or being a pilot in the Aer Corps here.

Your Walter Mitty fantasies may be better welcomed elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement