Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Irish dialogue

Options
  • 10-08-2017 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello.
    I was wondering if I might post a section from a short story that I'm writing. It's set in Donegal, and I'm a bit worried the characters sound more Scottish than Irish! (I'm English, and though I spent a summer in Donegal 25 years ago  - it's too long ago for me to remember the accent).
    Would it be OK to post a bit from the middle of the story?
    Many thanks
    Jon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jonedward

Well, here it is. It's just a bit from the middle of the story. It's italicised as it's a flashback. Can't find the preview button so the formatting is probably all over the place.
    Hopefully I haven't broken any forum rules :)

—The First Communion of Carra McLeod (Chapter Title)

We’re driving home from church with every window wound down. The air is alive with summer bugs and the wind is hot sand in my eyes.  Carra sits next to me on the rear seat; a knitted rabbit on her lap, her dark hair, now loose, whipping in the turbulence and making her laugh.

“When we get home, Joel, you’ve to go and see your Aunt Mil,” Da’ says.

“Aww, Da’. She’ll have me fetching wood. It’s so hot—”

“For Christ’s sake, just do as you’re told!”

“I’ll help you, Joel,” Carra whispers.

“No, Carra,” he tells her.

She hugs the rabbit to her chest and glowers beneath her frenzied hair.

#

Half an hour later, and I’m traipsing towards Braade with my hands deep in my pockets. The road bakes the air above it, pooling it with silver, while in the distance, beyond the surge and swell of the moor, the dark ridge of Cover’s Tor shivers in the heat.

Aunt Mil will give me iced lemonade, but not before I’ve piled wood thigh-high beside her stove, or pushed her ancient mower up and down the lawn until my arms shake. It isn’t fair that I have to sweat in the sun while Carra gets to play at home, even if today was her First Communion. I picture her sitting cross-legged on the sofa, drinking milk from a tall glass, cartoons playing out on the TV, and I squeeze my hands to fists.

Oh, she can have whatever she wants; Carra can. Because, she’s my father’s daughter. Because she’s Carra.

“Hoy Joel, what’s the craic?”

I hadn’t noticed the two boys sitting in shade by the side of the road: Robbie Quinn and his little brother, Niall, passing the stump of a cigarette back and forth.

“Not much,” I say.

Robbie stands up, stretches out his back. “Come on, we’re away up to Garrigan’s field,”

“Why?”

“See if we can’t get a chase from the old fella.”

“I’ve to go and see my Aunt Mil.”

“Ah, come on, Joel.”

#

Garrigan’s field is long and narrow and hemmed with tumbledown stone walls. We crunch across fresh stubble to a haystack at its centre.

“Look at the size of it,” Niall says. “Will we climb it?”

“That won’t fetch the farmer,” Robbie replies. He pushes his lighter between the bales and flicks the wheel.

“Jesus Christ, Rob!” Niall takes hold of his brother’s arm. “Come on, the whole field’ll go up.”

“Sure the stubble’s too short to burn. It’ll smoulder, is all.”

“Come on, though!”

“We’ll wait for the farmer.”

At first there’s just smoke. Lazy, grey tendrils, sweet as incense, drift out of the stack and disperse into the afternoon air. Within minutes, we hear the static crackle of burning hay deep within the bales, a lick of flame thickens and sheets, and now there’s no stopping it.

Niall is doing that thing he does when he’s scared or excited: bouncing on bent knees, feet primly together. He begins to cry and is told to be quiet and wait for the farmer. Robbie’s eyes flick between the burning stack and the gate at the end of the field — he takes a couple of steps backwards, and now I see the fear in him. He wants to run too, but he won’t.  Not in front of his brother.

“Jeez, it’s really going now!” Niall says. “Robbie, I think the field will burn.”

“Wait.”

I want it to burn. I want the black, smouldering fingers creeping out into the stubble to thicken, gather pace, explode into flame like lit fuel. I want to see them coalesce and push out into the field, faster than I can walk. Faster than I can run. The blazing front will lengthen and build, orange to yellow to white. It will leap walls and trackways, whip up winds that will pull whole flocks of birds down into the flames like brief, fiery comets. Like flint-sparks.

“Keep your eye on that gate, Niall.”

“Here he is!”

Streams and rivers will boil. The tar of the roads will catch and the roads will become rivers themselves; rivers of fire snaking out across the moor and into villages and towns. Braade will burn. Calhame and Mullaghduff and Annagry — all will be ash and scorched stone. And, finally, when the smoke begins to clear and the moors are left charred and blackened, the fire will find a certain hillside. It will make its way along a dusty track to a neat, whitewashed house, and rub its back against the door.

#

Garrigan parks his Landrover in our front yard. I slip out of the passenger seat and watch him walk up to the porch door. It opens as he raises his hand to knock and Da’ pokes his head out, his face flushed and sweating.

“What’s he done?” he asks Garrigan.

“Can I come in? I need to talk to you.”

“I’m about to go out. What is it?”

“I don’t want to have to fetch the garda, Fin.”

My father glances over his shoulder and into the shadowed house.

“All right. Come in, Declan,” he says. “Joel, get yourself inside.”

The living room is dark and full of heat. There’s a half-finished glass of milk on a side-table and the television blares with an afternoon chat show. Da’ busies himself pulling back curtains and opening windows while Carra sits straight-legged on the sofa, her Communion dress rumpled, a single shoe on one foot.

“Away to your room, Carra,” he says, and she scoots off the sofa, squeezes past Garrigan in the doorway, and clatters up the stairs.

“Right, what’s this about?” Da’ asks, flicking off the TV.

I perch on the arm of a chair while Garrigan lingers in the doorway as if he doesn’t want to enter the small, airless room. There’s a dark smudge of soot on his forehead beneath his flat cap, and the warm scent of burnt timothy whenever he moves. He glances at my sister’s shoe lying upside-down on the carpet.

“Asleep, were ye?” he says.

“I’ve work to do, Declan. What’s this about?”

“Your boy there burned down a haystack.”

Da’ glares at me and I shrink back towards the doorway, towards Garrigan.

“Well, I can’t say it was your lad that set the fire, but he was there.”

“Is it out?”

“You can’t put out a bale fire, Fin. You just have to let it burn. I’ve pulled it down.”

My father stands in the centre of the room, one hand on his hip, the other rubbing the back of his neck. “Christ, have I not suffered enough?” he says, as if to himself.

“The hay will need to be paid for, Finbar.”

“And with your mother not long gone, God rest her.”

Garrigan pulls the cap from his head and holds it in both hands like he’s talking to a priest. “I’ll be speaking to Davey Quinn about it, too,” he says.

“I work my fingers to the bone for you and Carra.” It’s almost a whisper. “I work my hands bloody.”

“You hear me, Fin? The hay will need to be paid for.”

Da’ looks up at Garrigan as if he’d forgotten he was there. He crosses the room and takes him by the elbow, tells him that he will sort it, thanks him for not going to the garda, all the while ushering him towards the front door. Now I’m left alone, and there’s the slow tick of a clock on the wall, a creak of a floorboard in Carra’s room, and is that her I can hear crying?

“Your boy didn’t run, though,” Garrigan says. “There’s that, at least.”

The front door slams.

Da’ slips into the room, closes the door and leans his back against it, watching me.

“It wasn’t me, it was Robbie Quinn,” I say.

He undoes his belt and slides it from his jeans, thick leather hissing against denim.

“I swear it, Da’.”

“Come here,” he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I read the first conversation. Would suggest "Ah Daddy..." and the 'christ sake' is very strong, "Do what your told child, hai"!

Thanks Are Am Eye. 'Daddy' it is! :)
    I had the main character (as a young lad ) saying 'Da' and as a grown man saying 'Dad'. Do you think it should be 'Daddy' (young) and 'Da' (grown up) or Daddy/Dad?

Thanks for reading!

Jon

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Definitely daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Definitely daddy. Da is more a Dublin thing. Dad when grown up works. Or maybe calling him by his actual name? Depending on the relationship between the two.

On a side note I really enjoyed the piece of writing. I loved your descriptions and the feel of the whole thing. It felt real,authentic. Would love to read more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Nice writing. Could I suggest that Da' (why the apostrophe?) or Daddy would defend his son to the neighbour, demanding what proof there was, and then turn on the son when the neighbour's gone.

If you want to find out what Donegal people call their father, ask on the farming forum here. I know some Galway people who call their dad Pop. Best place to get answers, and the farmers will have fun answering it.

The son is passive throughout, and when the father calls him to come and be beaten he acquiesces meekly - would he not try to make a run for it?

Would the burning scene be stronger in the first place if he actually tries to stop his friend, knock the lighter out of his hand?

Is he already smoking - could the neighbour have a pack of cigarettes that will identify him in some way as the culprit?

Thanks HCass and Chuchote

Great idea about the farming forum. In fact, it was a farmer's forum in the UK that helped me to choose a village to live in when I first decided to move to Norfolk. They're a helpful bunch!
    Also - thanks for the suggestions. It does need more work, you're absolutely right - although I've only posted a snippet from the middle of the story, so I'm not surprised it reads a little odd. I didn't post the whole thing as I'm not sure if this forum is google-able, and if I entered it into a competition (once finished), it'd be disqualified.
    Apologies I've been away for so long - I'm right in the middle of moving house, and writing has had to take a back seat for a little while.

Thanks again

Jon

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

i liked that - very nicely written

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

Just a few things that stood out to me.

"Hoy Joel" definitely sounds a bit out of place. "Hi" would be fine, or "Yes Joel" would probably be better again.

Also, "fetch" wouldn't be used much in that context, "get" would be more common.

Very good overall though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

And "Awww" isn't Irish generally; it would be "Ah, sure, Da…"

If you want a good book to set your ear on Irish country dialogue generally, read Oh My God, What a Complete Aisling https://www.gillbooks.ie/dear-reader/blog/oh-my-god-what-a-complete-aisling-is-brought-to-life-first-novel

• Advertisement

Wow, I got so much wrong! :)

Thanks (everyone) for the hints and tips and the book recommendation. I'll make the changes to the dialogue as suggested if I ever get a spare minute ever again! This house move is all-consuming.

Thank you again

Jon

Advertisement