Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp Troubles

Options
  • 10-08-2017 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello All

One of my hives is under constant attack from wasps. Its only a small colony and they seem to be coming off the worse for it.

I have restricted the entrance to try and help. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

thelord wrote: »
    Hello All

One of my hives is under constant attack from wasps. Its only a small colony and they seem to be coming off the worse for it.

I have restricted the entrance to try and help. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Put out a wasp trap, a bottle contain 1 part water, 1 part white vinegar, I part sugar and a banana skin. Put a hole in the aide of it near the top

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Another vote for the wasp trap.

Cut a few plastic bottles in half. Invert the top half and push it down into the bottom half, without the lid.
    Add in Lidl's cheapest lager and you'll catch all the wasps you want. Check it every couple of days cos they get full up of dead wasps.
    You may take it apart to empty and go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

thelord wrote: »
    Hello All

For a small colony that's struggling against wasps, I would say move it to another apiary ASAP. The small entrance will help but if it's not enough, wasps can destroy a colony in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thelord

I have moved the hive to my second site to be on the safe side. leaving the wasp traps in place as they are catching loads of the nasty little buggers.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

An interesting article https://honeybeesuite.com/the-undervalued-robbing-screen/
    The robbing screen helps against both wasps and robbing bees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement