Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start an app on CM7

Options
  • 10-08-2017 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭

I have Cyanogenmod7 installed on an HTC Wildfire. It was installed by the previous owner. I can install apps, but they don't all appear as an icon on the home screen, e.g. WifiAnalyser and OfflineMaps do, but Viber doesn't.
    I have looked at length for a place that lists them all, where I could choose one to launch, bit I haven't found it.
    Any CM7 users here to help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭niallb

CM7 was Android version 2.3.
    You might just be finding that Wifianalyser and offlinemaps are compatible with the old version of android and viber isn't.

Are you installing these apps from the Play Store or directly from downloaded APKs ?
    Viber needs at least Android 4.0, so shouldn't be appearing in the playstore for you at all.
    I'm not surprised that it fails to install properly.

You could put a newer version of cyanogenmod on that phone which would make it compatible,
    but with CM7 I think you've nowhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Yes, I installed viber from the playstore. I can launch it if i go back to playstore and look for viber, then it has an open button.
    I have viber desktop too, it shows a text I sent someone, but not pictures I sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Install a different launcher such as Nova.

2. Bin that phone.

Nova is a good launcher and I used it when I had CM6 on a Galaxy Spica.
    Do you not have an icon to get to the full list of installed apps? It's like a square with 4 squares inside it?
    You should be able to swipe through them all (maybe vertically instead of horizontally)

niallb wrote: »
    Nova is a good launcher and I used it when I had CM6 on a Galaxy Spica.
    Do you not have an icon to get to the full list of installed apps? It's like a square with 4 squares inside it?
    You should be able to swipe through them all (maybe vertically instead of horizontally)

No such icon here.
    playstore says nova is incompatible with my device. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    No such icon here.
    playstore says nova is incompatible with my device. :(

Search "launcher" in the play store and the compatible ones will appear

Try holding your finger on an empty piece of screen and see are you offered the chance to add buttons to the screen.
    You may find the apps button by doing this. They may be called widgets or shortcuts.

The phone itself is 7 years old, and it's not practical to expect it to work 'out of the box' anymore.
    It's around the same age as an iPhone 3Gs, and that was a flagship phone - the wildfire was a bargain one.

Apex launcher was what I used before Nova, but it requires Android 4.0 at least these days.
    You'll need to download an apk from back in the days your phone was still current - around 2011.

I think we should crowdfund bonzodog2 a new phone. Nobody should have to live like that :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    I think we should crowdfund bonzodog2 a new phone. Nobody should have to live like that :D

You should have seen my previous phone*! It still works, BTW. And the 2 before that.
    I like the Wildfire, its compact and the battery lasts ages. If I want to do computer stuff I use a computer. My computer collection is probably older than the Wildfire.

However, anyone who wants to donate a more recent phone, send PM :cool:

*Sony Ericsson k750i

Advertisement