Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a hornet?

Options
  • 10-08-2017 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Big b@st@rd a over an inch long, back end stripey like a wasp but much bigger than any wasp I've seen in this country.  Stinger to match! :O

424798.jpg

424799.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

looks nasty whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Could well be, or it could be a wood wasp.

At any rate, I recommend killing it with fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

That's not a stinger.....that's a full sized hypodermic bloody needle!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

kylith wrote: »
    Could well be, or it could be a wood wasp.

At any rate, I recommend killing it with fire.

Yes, looks like a wood wasp. Never seen a hornet with that facia...

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Wood wasp I believe. Went through the same question last year when I seen one for the first time. Saw one this year too in the exact same area. Apparently they're harmless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

FanadMan wrote: »
    That's not a stinger.....that's a full sized hypodermic bloody needle!!!!

It's neither. It's an ovipositor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Carb wrote: »
    Wood wasp I believe. Went through the same question last year when I seen one for the first time. Saw one this year too in the exact same area. Apparently they're harmless.
    Not even wasps. Sawflies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

endacl wrote: »
    It's neither. It's an ovipositor.

It's still scary enough looking that if I saw one I'd either wet myself or run away screaming like a 5 year old girl! Have handed all sorts of animals and insects with no problem but bees and wasps (and things that look like them) give me the willies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A perfectly harmless Wood Wasp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I withdraw my suggestion to torch it.

Now I know it's not dangerous, it's pretty cool looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Cheers for the replies folks!  Did a bit of digging online once I knew what to search for.  Harmless to people but not so harmless to timber, especially pine.  Apparently shouldn't be an issue for timber in houses as that should be too dry, but "sawfly infestation" brings up some interesting results - the grubs can even chew through lead!  In any case, there's a small plantation of native pine near me so I managed to trap it in a jar to be released a few miles away, where it can lay eggs without affecting household timbers or large pine plantations.

Advertisement