Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gynaecologist /STD test shaming

Options
  • 10-08-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I've recently been to a gynaecologist and was felt like I was judged and made fun of after answering her questions about my sex life and other intimate details. She had a smirk on her face the whole time. Was wondering if it’s my imagination or anyone else felt shamed or judged going to a gynaecologist or taking an STD test.

I’d appreciate your replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It was probably just your imagination.
    Stop wasting energy thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I have bitchy resting face, if I don't smile a little I look really mean, so I always try to have a smile on my face to put the people I work with at ease; maybe that's what she was doing. Perhaps she felt if she remained too serious looking that she would make you feel nervous or judged so she just wanted to seem friendly. I can guarantee you she has heard it all and doesnt think anything of it.

Sex is natural, you were being responsible getting tested- there is nothing to be ashamed about and nothing for her to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP it was probably just your own nerves projecting onto the situation. I've been there and thought the doctor doing my smear was being similar to that & turns out after she was just trying to put me at ease by smiling and making a joke (not about the smear or me par se). It's a vulnerable situation so you're more likely to be sensitive to comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

HI OP

they say 70% of communication is non verbal. But non verbal messages are subject to interpretation. But how much of your expereince was down to your personal feelings and how much was the GC ? Given the stressful situation you may have been projecting a least a little?

Remember how frequently a GC will come across people who engage in behaviours they may consider risky, or may differ from any personal held beliefs.

My suggestion to you is , if you didn't feel at ease , then as a customer, choose a different GC if you need further visits. IE vote with your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I'd listen to both sides of the advice OP, you are probably misreading the situation but if you don't feel comfortable seeing her again you should definitely change your doctor.
    Definitely don't dwell too much, life's too short!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rain.Clarkson

Thanks, everyone. You're all probably right. I might consider seeing a different GC tho.

Advertisement