Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antagonistic posters

Options
  • 10-08-2017 7:48am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In my nearly 13 years on boards, I've noticed certain types of posters, some of whom are far from pleasant. I'm not talking about the trolls or the obvious bigots, but about those who seem to enjoy attacking other poster's posts just for the sake of it. They don't even seem to want to argue/refute the points of the poster they are attacking, but instead appear to be contrary or borderline aggressive for the sake of it.

What drives such posters? Frustration at the world? A deep seated sense of superiority? Or are they just bullies who conveniently hide behind a keyboard, safe in the knowledge that there are few/no repercussions to their actions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

what kind of shíte is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Allinall

JupiterKid wrote: »
    In my nearly 13 years on boards, I've noticed certain types of posters, some of whom are far from pleasant. I'm not talking about the trolls or the obvious bigots, but about those who seem to enjoy attacking other poster's posts just for the sake of it. They don't even seem to want to argue/refute the points of the poster they are attacking, but instead appear to be contrary or borderline aggressive for the sake of it.

What drives such posters? Frustration at the world? A deep seated sense of superiority? Or are they just bullies who conveniently hide behind a keyboard, safe in the knowledge that there are few/no repercussions to their actions?

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I concur with your moral outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

This won't last long...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

What kind of name is JupiterKid, I mean are you actually from Jupiter? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hmmmm...people seem a bit grumpy this morning.:D

But you know the type - posters who argue just for arguments sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

F*ck off, you d*ck head and your sh*te posts. Bellend. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

degsie wrote: »
    What kind of name is JupiterKid, I mean are you actually from Jupiter? Seriously?

Is he really a kid also!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

They probably didn't make the junior b hurling team and the lad who sits in the next cubicle in work wears yellow so the world is just out to get them

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

This thread fookin' stinks, whoever made it obviously has not washed in 13 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

No I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Incorrect!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Sum ppl lyk statrin fites 4 d sake uf ih, dey wud wana whach demshelves...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Discussion for the sake of discussion perhaps? Playing Devils Advocate in threads is a noble and admirable quality that fosters discussion. A one sided argument is tedious soap-boxing.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Come out and say that to my face!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So's your face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Come out and say that to my face!

You have bad hair.

Isn't disagreeing with others kinda part of the whole point about having opinions?

Surely that's to be welcomed and encouraged on a site like this?

As long as the disagreement is civil, and there is no attacking the poster, what could be the problem? It's hardly "bullying".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Atari jaguar

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

OldGoat wrote: »
    Discussion for the sake of discussion perhaps? Playing Devils Advocate in threads is a noble and admirable quality that fosters discussion. A one sided argument is tedious soap-boxing.

Oh dissenting views are essential to any robust discussion. It would be very boring if we all agreed on everything. Playing devils advocate is fine too. But that still does not discount a certain type of poster who tries to antagonise others by throwing in passive aggressive posts which appear designed to put down the poster they are railing against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Fighting passive aggressiveness by being passive aggressive, you show 'em Jupiter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Playing devils advocate is fine too.

No it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

But that still does not discount a certain type of poster who tries to antagonise others by throwing in passive aggressive posts which appear designed to put down the poster they are railing against.
    This is a pretty passive-aggressive thread, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

In my nearly 13 years on boards, I've noticed certain types of posters, some of whom are far from pleasant.

Get used to it Newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Jaden wrote: »
    Get used to it Newbie.

Post reported ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thread closed.

Please don't start threads that will ultimately lead to posters taking massive big steamers on other posters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement