Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a bicycle?

Options
  • 09-08-2017 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

I live in Beaumont and in the fall will be attending a new school in the city centre and I am considering investing on a bike to cycle to and from school as opposed to spending 20 euros a week on bus fares. Where should I go for a bike? Are second hand ones on adverts.ie good? How much should I look to spend if I am looking to use it strictly for commuting?

Normally a bus ride from where I live onto Dame Street is about 30-45 minutes and according to google maps a bicycle will only take me 28 mins.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Have you much experience cycling in Dublin?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bolton cycles on bolton street is fairly well cued up for students who are looking for reasonable secondhand bikes which won't break the bank, afaik. may be worth popping in there to see what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Yes, get a bike. By far the best means of travelling around Dublin. Shouldn't be an issue with bikes on Adverts or DoneDeal. Spend what your budget will allow. Invest in a decent lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aniogain

I got my first bike from Rothar and I have not looked back since. I was actually learning to drive when I started cycling in town so it was interesting to learn both at the same time.

The bike was a second hand hybrid for €100. It had decent size tyres but not as thick as a mountain bike's. It wasnt especially light, but that meant it was sturdy for Dublin roads.

I have a road bike now but for my next one, I'll probably get a Dutch style bike because it makes it easier to do a spot of shopping. It's also a much more relaxed style of bike.

You won't miss the bus. The bike offers so much freedom. I have the car (serious waste of money - it sits in the basement) butbits much easier to get about on a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Get a bike, a good helmet and decent mudguards. Invest in good raingear and reflective gear too.
    But don't become a 'cyclist'...

• Advertisement

Get a bike, a good helmet and decent mudguards. Invest in good raingear and reflective gear too.

Good lights too, can't emphasise that enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what lazybones32 is trying to say is 'don't become someone expecting or hoping to be treated as an equal on the roads'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kcampo

monument wrote: »
    Have you much experience cycling in Dublin?

No I do not have any experience cycling in Dublin, I have lived away from Ireland for 7 years and I am only now returning to complete my studies. I was thinking of spending a day or two before school starts cycling around town to get my bearings. Should that be enough?

And thank you all for the advice and comments. Would 200 euros be too much to spend on a bike? I am trying to save as much as possible for the upcoming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Kcampo wrote:
    And thank you all for the advice and comments. Would 200 euros be too much to spend on a bike? I am trying to save as much as possible for the upcoming year.

Are you including ancillaries such as helmet, lights and possibly waterproof pants as part of your 200 budget?

Are you including ancillaries such as helmet, lights and possibly waterproof pants as part of your 200 budget?

Yea, well maybe 300 which would include a decent bike, helmet, lock, lights, reflective and rain jacket. I will be cycling with a schoolbag and small gym bag so I would just like to be prepared as can be. Where can I pick up all this gear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

But please do learn the Road Code especially re how contra flows and bus lanes work vs regular one way streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

what lazybones32 is trying to say is 'don't become someone expecting or hoping to be treated as an equal on the roads'.
    Far from what i was implying...but you knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Yes, get a bike. By far the best means of travelling around Dublin. Shouldn't be an issue with bikes on Adverts or DoneDeal. Spend what your budget will allow. Invest in a decent lock.

Two decent locks.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Have you a safe secure place to lock the bike (get a really good lock) at home and in school? I've cycled in Dublin for five years and I would recommend it but your priorities for bicycle accessories are

Front and rear lights > really good locks > mudguards

Really can't stress the importance of a good lock. Bike theft in Dublin is very common.

Thanks for the advice, are there many secure places to lock bikes along Leeson Street and Stephen's green?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aniogain

Parking in Dublin can be tricky but there are more and more bike stands being added. There has been a noticeable increase in the last few months - it's certainly getting better. You'll always find a place to lock your bike but use your common sense. Do a bit of research on bad examples of bike locking or how not to lock your bike. I've seen a lot of new cyclists locking their quick release wheels to the stand, but not the bike frame. Try to look for the weak-spots when locking your bike. I've never had a bike stolen and hopefully, I never will.

€300 all in seems reasonable. You'll make that back in no time. I recommend getting some rain trousers (I use mac-in-a-sac, they do the job). If you're going to be carrying two bags, look at getting panier racks. There's nothing worse than carrying two bags in the rain - your visibility and balance will be ****e.

Kcampo wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, are there many secure places to lock bikes along Leeson Street and Stephen's green?

There's free bike parking in Drury Street car park, that'd be convenient for Stephen's Green. Wouldn't be bad for Dame street either. Not sure about Leeson Street, I've never parked my bike anywhere there.

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    There's free bike parking in Drury Street car park, that'd be convenient for Stephen's Green. Wouldn't be bad for Dame street either. Not sure about Leeson Street, I've never parked my bike anywhere there.

Thanks, I went to the school today for an interview and they have free in-house bike parking so that's fantastic news :)

Would Rothar be the best place for second-hand bikes or would adverts.ie be king (or is there anywhere else)?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Kcampo wrote:
    Would Rothar be the best place for second-hand bikes or would adverts.ie be king (or is there anywhere else)?

Post #3 strongly recommended Bolton Cycles

If you are ever asking the 'bike' question, the answer is YES. Cycling remains comfortably the best and most enjoyable way to get around Dublin and the cycle in from Beaumont is a piece of cake.

With a budget of €200 get yourself a good quality secondhand bike and something that doesn't look flash (you can make it not look flash yourself of course). Try to leave it locked in public as little as possible, and when you do lock it on a proper bike rack in a busy place rather than an out of the way lamp post. Second the advice about a decent lock.

Despite what some on the thread are saying it is entirely up to you whether you wear a helmet, they are not a legal requirement so make your own mind up. Far, FAR more important in my opinion is having a reasonable amount of cop on and road sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭plodder

Get a good U lock and even a cheap (though preferably decent) chain type lock as well. Two of the same kind of lock can be opened almost as easily as one. Two different locks need two different tools to open.

Get good lights, and personally, I believe hi-viz gear is important on crappy wet days in winter, though some people disagree with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement