Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcatel Joy Launcher

Options
  • 09-08-2017 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I can't find much on this online. My phone automatically updated to this, when I tried to reset it just reapplied it to my phone. It's awful, I'm left with an octopus icon on my home screen that I can't get rid of. It covers my apps so I keep clicking it by mistake, when I do click it I get taken to the Google app search page. Driving me absolutely mad, has anyone had this problem? Or, hopefully been able to solve it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You could try installing a different launcher like Nova and set it as the default.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Good suggestion, thank you! I'll try anything at this point

Thank you so much! It worked, I'm terrible with this kind of thing I never would have known I could do that. It's amazing how much these things can bother ya, also hate mandatory updates. Thanks again!!

You're welcome! Yeah, some updates are a pain. You can save your settings within Nova so if it does update or you upgrade again it will restore the layout etc for you.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote:
    You're welcome! Yeah, some updates are a pain. You can save your settings within Nova so if it does update or you upgrade again it will restore the layout etc for you.

Amazing, I'm having way too much fun rearranging icons. This gives so much more space than before

Happy days .. you dont even need to download any games now so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Thanks I got that stupid octopus too I thought I had a virus. Why would they force something so awful on users it's baffling

Its ridiculous, especially the fact that you can't get rid of that damned octopus.
    As GBX suggested, Nova is a godsend

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I suspect its popular in the Chinese/Malaysian markets that they care about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

TBF the update has it's good points, it seems to have speeded up my phone apps, some of which were painfully slow at times. However the octopus is a pain in the ....! I found the update on my phone last Saturday and assumed at first that it was some kind of virus (judging by the reviews on GooglePlay I wasn't alone there). Perhaps if they had given people some kind of warning that it was coming or an explanation but there was nothing. I did send them a message asking if the person who thought up the octopus was on drugs at the time and got this reply

"The Octopus widget has now been disabled since Aug 14th and our team is currently working to roll back the software - we will keep you posted with the progress of this. Until then, it may be worthwhile using another ad-free launcher from PlayStore in place of Joy Launcher".

Sure enough by Sunday evening the octopus had gone but I switched my phone off earlier and when I switched it back on the bugger had returned!

The cleanup option is quite handy but they have to ruin it by trying to push new apps onto you at the end. TBH if I have just cleared 5 or 6 MB I'm hardly going to want to install another app which takes up maybe twice as much space.

Advertisement