Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery plant crowing in greenhouse

Options
  • 09-08-2017 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

edit: growing even :facepalm:

I'm not an experienced gardener but have been growing some fruit and veg for the last few years.

I spotted this plant growing a few weeks back

M4H9oTZ.jpg

I've grown chili plants in the past and thought this plant was one of these returning somehow because it had similar flowers, leaves and size.

However, today I'm looking at it and it's full of flowers, way more than any chili plant I've grown, and also the "fruit" has turned black and doesn't look very chili-like.

FsQJuer.jpg

I popped one of these and they are full of seeds and liquid.

m8TYzU1.jpg

I'm guessing this is some sort of weed but would like to know more. Also, these little "berries" look a bit sinister so am wondering if this might be poisonous, etc. Can anyone enlighten me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Could it be an aubergine?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrkr

kylith wrote: »
    Could it be an aubergine?

i hadnt thought of that. they look the right colour i suppose. i would be surprised as they are quite small (the pictures may make the look larger, they are about the size of a pea at the moment).

i've tried to grow aubergines in the greenhouse before without success, it could be a remnant of that effort.
    l

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

mrkr wrote: »
    i hadnt thought of that. they look the right colour i suppose. i would be surprised as they are quite small (the pictures may make the look larger, they are about the size of a pea at the moment).

i've tried to grow aubergines in the greenhouse before without success, it could be a remnant of that effort.
    l

If you tried growing them before I'd say it could be a runty plant that didn't germinate last season.

I'm trying aubergine this year but the leaves are a darker green and different to that.

Unless Ive something else on the go!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

It looks like black nightshade, solanum nigrum.

http://www.juliasedibleweeds.com/general/deadly-delicious-black-nightshade/

The berries are not poisonous.

The woody or bitter nightshade/bittersweet, solanum dulcamara you can see in ditches has purple and yellow flowers and red berries, which are bitter.

Deadly nightshade, or atropa belladonna has single flowers which produce a black poisonous fruit.

Advertisement