Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Glen Campbell

Options

Comments

Died aged 81 -suffered from Alzheimers disease for many years.

https://twitter.com/GlenCampbell?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

RIP Glen :(

I AM going to miss you.:(

Saw this news earlier and thought The Backwards Man will be devastated :pac:

:) RIP Glenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

He's gone to search the sun for another overload.

RIP Glenn

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Very sad to hear this news.
    I was touched by the documentary about his farewell tour where he was battling Alzheimers and was amazed at the body of work he created over the years. The thing that really struck me was how talented a guitarist he was, which his hits and success didn't really highlight.

Thanks for the great music I hope you can now RIP

Jake1 wrote: »
    Saw this news earlier and thought The Backwards Man will be devastated :pac:

:) RIP Glenn
    Found that old CD with Wichita Lineman stuck on repeat the other day actually, used to drive me mad but I think I'll give it another wee blast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Jagged Edge was one of the best films of the mid 80s.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BBDBB wrote: »
    I was touched by the documentary about his farewell tour where he was battling Alzheimers and was amazed at the body of work he created over the years. The thing that really struck me was how talented a guitarist he was, which his hits and success didn't really highlight.
    +1000. IMHO one of the finest unsung guitar players there is and now sadly was. :( RIP G.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1000. IMHO one of the finest unsung guitar players there is and now sadly was. :( RIP G.
    And he couldn't read a note either. Sometimes you've either got it or you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

A hardworking man with a gorgeous voice. May you always be where the lights shinin' on you. Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

BBDBB wrote: »

Thanks for the great music I hope you can now RIP

Have a look at " The Wrecking Crew" a film about a group of session musicians with who Glen Campbell played with from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

jelutong wrote: »
    Have a look at " The Wrecking Crew" a film about a group of session musicians with who Glen Campbell played with from time to time.

I will, Im aware of his time with the Wrecking Crew and the famous names he supported, but my point was that his own hits didn't really spotlight his own guitar playing prowess to its fullest by comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Wichita Lineman - what a great song. Practically impossible to pull off a decent cover version of it, so unique was Glen Campbell's voice.

Also, he co-starred alongside John Wayne in the original 'True Grit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Sad news RIP Glen . The below is one of my favourites. Not one of his better known songs, but I really like it and it's worth a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Love this performance on Jools Holland, which came relatively late in his career.

There's a fluidity to his playing that makes it appear utterly effortless, which is something you seldom see, even among the stellar names in rock & popular music.

Wrecking Crew member, Beach Boy & hugely successful solo artist, not bad going at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

he is where the lights are shining on him, RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 techno_radio

it's one msall step for man, on giant leap for mankind, rip mr campbell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Thanks Glen.
    You brightened up our lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

RIP Glen.
    This was my favourite (written by Jimmy Webb)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

love all the original American C&W of old - Glen Campbell was part of these greats - todays supposed stars are a pale imitation.
    R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Glen Campbell covering Jackson Browne. It doesn't get much more beautiful than this…

Rest easy, cowboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

As an example of his Guitar skills - Instrumental single from 1977.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

And he couldn't read a note either. Sometimes you've either got it or you don't.

Hold on now - he was a talent and will be missed - but as regards reading notes: he was strumming a gee-tar, not playing Brahms on the viola.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

topper75 wrote: »
    Hold on now - he was a talent and will be missed - but as regards reading notes: he was strumming a gee-tar, not playing Brahms on the viola.

Well maybe not Brahms but Rossini…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I wouldn't mind comforting his daughter Ashley,

RIP Glen

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

uch wrote:
    I wouldn't mind comforting his daughter Ashley,

uch wrote:
    RIP Glen

Dirty dog :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Rte gold ran a documentary / interview with him yesterday. Being young, didnt know who he was or that he had died but as i wikipedia'ed the penny dropped. Unique musician, lovely lyrics and walls of sound, and a bit of an interesting life story / person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Rte gold ran a documentary / interview with him yesterday. Being young, didnt know who he was or that he had died but as i wikipedia'ed the penny dropped. Unique musician, lovely lyrics and walls of sound, and a bit of an interesting life story / person.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He must be in Phoenix by now.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

ToddyDoody wrote: »

Watched some great Youtube clips of him with other great artists.

Advertisement