Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading music to phone legally advice

Options
  • 08-08-2017 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

I'm a records and CDs guy with no idea how to download music online. What is the best sites for this? I have an android phone. Does it take up much space or does it act like a Kindle does. My music tastes are experimental electronic etc, not your usual top 40 ,Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

buck65 wrote: »
    I'm a records and CDs guy with no idea how to download music online. What is the best sites for this? I have an android phone. Thanks

Buck65, there's a name I haven't seen in years. Is he still making music?

For Android, you're better off with a Google play subscription, €9.99 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

I've android and I use soundcloud, mixcloud, bandcamp and spotify. I have a premium spotify account so almost everything is available. The first three apps will have access to the more experimental stuff that isn't on spotify, especially bandcamp. Then there's tunein radio for your eclectic radio stations and youtube if all else fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I find Spotify useful

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm a records and CDs guy with no idea how to download music online. What is the best sites for this? I have an android phone. Does it take up much space or does it act like a Kindle does. My music tastes are experimental electronic etc, not your usual top 40 ,Thanks

Nice

Just go on to youtube and listen to all the mask off remixes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Since you are asking legally, and on Android

Spotify
    Monthly subscription that is very reasonable, and you have access to an ungodly amount of music. I used to pirate my music, was probably one of the first people in the country doing it at the dawn of internet availability here, but when Spotify came to Ireland I just stopped.

The UI, accessability, integration with multiple platforms and the price simply made it easier and a better option to pirating anymore. Have been on a premium sub since day one, probably the best shout.

Google Music
    Googles equivalent to itunes. Pretty good selection and reasonably priced for individual tracks or albums. I used it a bit to buy stuff that wasn't on Spotify, was rare though. Simple enough to use, the UI I found pretty good and was my music player of choice before spotify came along (This lets you sync your music on your PC to a cloud like platform, so you can play on your phone)

"Downloading" really isn't a thing for phones. You can, but the question is why you would bother when space is limited and data plans are so hassle free and typically inclusive in mobile plans where there is no major limits or restrictions anymore.

Streaming is really the ideal method for mobile platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

If you want to buy and keep your music rather than stream 7 digital is good. You buy and download the music through the app and can play it on the in built player or mostly any music app. I do this for bands that I really like and want to support by buying an album or track. It means you can burn it to a cd also if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Another vote for Spotify. I used to download music off the net constantly, but since I've got Spotify I've stopped completely. It's a tenner a month for their most expensive package and it's ease of use and inexhaustible selection make it an absolute no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

"Legally" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

With Google Music you can upload 10,000 of your own tracks (via iTunes or whatever) and stream/download to your phone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Birneybau wrote: »
    With Google Music you can upload 10,000 of your own tracks (via iTunes or whatever) and stream/download to your phone.
    Fine if you have good reception and a good data plan

Otherwise rip your CD's and copy the files to your phone.

itunes or various other apps will do this easily , just set the quality to highest

you may have to invest in a microsd card to increase storage,

get something like tunein radio and you'll have a gazillion stations to chose from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Another advantage to having a Google Play subscription is you get Youtube Red which means no adverts. It's worth paying the money for that alone if you like your youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭LushiousLips

I just convert the songs on you tube to mp4 format and save them all to my phone. Google you tube converter and do it through that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Well there's always one lol

I'm a Deezer fan I find the Ui far better than Spotify

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Buck65, there's a name I haven't seen in years. Is he still making music?

Yes he is :) But nothing as amazing as his early work and Talking Honky Blues.
    He also has a book that is brilliant!

OP - There are loads of streaming services; Spotify, Tidal, BandCamp, Soundcloud, Google Play.

But as you are looking for specialized music, you should try to download straight from the artists store, they get more that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Buy direct from artist or label when possible. Most artists have Bandcamp pages you can purchase and download music from.

Advertisement